Gyms! SO Frustrating!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
laceyj

Gyms! SO Frustrating!

Post by laceyj »

Hi all

I've just been to the gym for one of those program reviews and now really feel the need to vent!!! I don't know how to make it any easier for the trainers - I'm very specific about my arm/back/other problems but I also always make it clear that I'm willing to try any exercise once and then see if it's appropriate for my obpi limitations. And yet they always come up with the same bicep, tricep, "hold yourself up with both your arm behind you back and push up" exercises. I'd kill to find a trainer who could think outside the box!!

Uuughhh! So Frustrating!

ok...... i've watched some tv while typing this and am now feeling much calmer. Going to search the net for some different upper body exercises and then get ready for some Australia Day celebrating!

Happy Australia Day to everyone (regardless of your nationality)...and thanks for listening ;)

Lacey Palmer
27yo ROBPI
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Gyms! SO Frustrating!

Post by hope16_05 »

Lacey,
I totally understand what you are saying! Gyms are so incredibly frustrating for me. But I have an idea for you, can you see the therapist or chiropractor. Do you have any one willing to go to a gym with you and actually think outside the box.
I know my chiropractors are very willing to make adaptations to exercises for me.
My OT at home is the same way, when I need help with something she is willing to brainstorm and figure out something that works for me.

I hope you are able to find someone who will actually listen to you and help you be happier at the gym.
Good luck, and happy Australia day!!!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
crw

Re: Gyms! SO Frustrating!

Post by crw »

Lacey,

This is the reason my gym membership means one thing to me: swimming.

there is a beginners class on saturday mornings that's free (its a ymca). there are a lot of older people but they are helpful and happy.

The personal trainer I'm meeting on Thursday has been warned once already of my limitations. I'm not really wanting to lift weights though. I do better in the water.

You might do better in water as well. Some of hte beginners classes are for people that don't know how to swim, or can't swim well - they seem to be the classes that help the most and take their time with you.

Does the gym have a pool? If not...maybe there's a pool somewhat near you with these types of classes?

I felt really bad at first going to such a class. As if i dont feel bad enough about myself as it is. But it wasnt so bad and I'm adjusting. I'm just glad to be active once again.