Update and a question

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
annedefiance

Update and a question

Post by annedefiance »

Hi all! How's everyone doing? Let me do a quick intro first, for those who don't know Ben or myself.
I'm Anne, mom to Ben (ROBPI) 7. Ben's had the nerve transfer, mod quad, gracilis transfer, and anterior caps release. I am a part time college student, work almost full time in the domestic violence field, my husband is disabled and our older son, Bobby, 11 (non-bpi) is entering puberty-----> SOMEONE SAVE ME!! Both boys are in Cub Scouts, altho Bobby is crossing over next month into Boys Scouts. I'm also the pack secretary and Tiger Den leader (Ben's den). Needless to say, life keeps me busy.
Ben's doing fine, the past few years the drs have been satisfied with his arm/hand. He has plateaued (is that a word?) but I think it's to be expected. The gracilis gave him back his elbow, but besides a bit of grip, his hand is still pretty null. He sure doesn't let it slow him down. There was a question at one time if he was SID, but it was ruled that he could possibly be sensory-seeking. Last summer we found the major cause of his problems at school, he's too smart. He gets bored too easily. Things are going somewhat better this year, but I wish they would challenge him more in his reading. He's in 1st grade, (cause we were stupid and listened to his pre-k teacher and kept him in pre-k another year) but is currently reading at almost 3rd grade, yet he keeps bringing home 1st grade books.
Ok, there's the update, now the question....Anyone know where to get elastic waisted jeans to fit a size 14 waist? (Yeah, Ben's got a belly, but I don't know how for as much as he moves! I guess genetics really does win out on this sometimes.) Any help would be great! I know I could take jeans to a local seamstress, but I can't afford that...the way he outgrows them. If anyone has any ideas, please email me at bpimom@gmail.com Thanks and I'll pop back soon!
claudia

Re: Update and a question

Post by claudia »

Have you tried Lands End?? They are big on the elastic waist stuff.

claudia
Mare

Post by Mare »

Kmart and Walmart is wear I always got Frankies.
Mare
Connie&Andrew

Post by Connie&Andrew »

I have always found a good selection of elastic waist pants at Target. Although mostly they seem to be different colored khaki pants. I don't remember too many denim jeans.

Good luck.

Connie
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Dear Annedefiance,
With your busy life, please find an hour to go get a massage or pedicure. Please consider taking care of yourself in some way meaningful to you.

All Moms must take care of yourselves.

Off my Soapbox now....

HUGS,
bosy " Carolyn J
LOBPI/69 & counting....;)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI