How do you do everything with just one hand?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Chelc

Re: How do you do everything with just one hand?

Post by Chelc »

After 2 1/2 years of living with TBPI, I am actually realizing that it is ok to ask for help. Family and friends learned fast in the beginning not to ask b/c "I Got It". I am actually not proud of that I think I pushed people away by doing that. I also can say though that I figured it all out, while it did take me longer than most.
I try to refrain from using my mouth too much for things. It hasen't been too good on my teeth. The most exhausting thing for me is showering. Usually by the time I'm almost done the water is cold, then I just want to lay around. Being a woman and having unruly hair it takes alot to get cleaned up. Pump bottles in the shower have helped alot. I also found this shower puff that is long, flat, and thin. It has holes in it that I can wrap around my left fingers and hold just enough to wash my unaffected arm.
My Black and Decker 1 touch chopper has made cooking much easier! I really enjoy making large meals so it is really helpful! Really wish I had a dishwasher though! The first time I really cried from frustration was cleaning a pan. I ended up crying and throwing it away! I have since learned to always use foil in the bottom of the pan!
I have really enjoyed reading all of your ideas and I know I will use them. I am going to try the ponytail thing when I get home! You are all inspiring in your own right! Keep on Keeping on!
Ripp

Post by Ripp »

Hi Scott, I'm Scott in Iowa and I got my spinner knob at Amazom.com. Go to their Automotive Accessories, then Interior Accessories and then you'll see the steering wheel spinners. They have some odd ones to choose from...I got the 8-ball. It's a big help and was delivered to my door in 3 days. I'm not sure if they're illegal in Iowa but I'd love to see a trooper try to write me a ticket for one.
Ripp

Post by Ripp »

Oh, and the spinner knob was only $11. They have some as low as $7
Ripp

Post by Ripp »

And to Jack1110, I'd sure love to know how you leared to tie your shoes with one hand. That one still eludes me. Mine haven't bee untied in months and shoehorns are my friend.
Chelc

Post by Chelc »

Hmm...shoe tieing! Make your knot, step on one string and pull the other. Then make one bow, while holding the bow with your thumb and index finger, put the bow under the other srtring. Then using your middle finger push the string in the loop just enough to form a loop. Then place your thumb in the small loop and your middle finger in the first one and strech your fingers out to tighten. Took me alot of practice! I hope that makes sense!
The guide to a one handed ponytail has saved my life!! I was so excited when I tried it and got it on the first try! Thanks!
jakepup

Post by jakepup »

it helps to think about every new situation . then attempt it. try again . but don't let others help unless you have to. do it yourself.
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

To put on a bra, I hook it while it is sitting on my bureau, then pull it over my head. I have to bend over to do it since I can't lift my left arm.

For sheets, I use fitted ones, then lift the mattress corners with my foot or knee to get the end under. it shortens the distance it has to stretch, so can get it on nice and tight.

When I'm out for dinner and want a steak, I ask to have the chef thinly slice it for me. I have only had one waitress seem annoyed by the request, but usually they are very nice about it.

I have learned to tie shoes one-handed, but generally avoid them or anything that will be more frustration than it's worth.

One time I got a round of applause from friends when I opened a bottle of wine holding it between my knees--they loved that :)
Henry

Post by Henry »

For shoes, I use the spring clips that you get on coats, sweat shirts, etc. Works great. I can tie laces but this works a lot quicker.

H
coolkoala85

Post by coolkoala85 »

Hi,
I am new to this but I need to help my husband. He has L brachial plexis injury from a mining accident in 2006. He was only 25 years old. we have two young boys and one on the way. I sometimes think I expect too much from him. He always uses the excuse he only has one hand so he cant do what I ask him to do. I have read some post on the message board and there are a lot of people who adapt to their new lifestyle. So I am wondering do you or anyone have any tips I can give my husband to boost his self esteem. Are there any tools to make life easier for him? He has a hard time opening bottles or sippy cups and pouring drinks and cutting steak. Is it OK to ask a cook at a restaurant to cut the steak for him? He loves steak but by the time I cut it then make my sons' plates my food is cold. Is their anyone in Idaho, Nevada, or Utah with bpi? I really think my husband needs to meet someone with the same injury as him.
thank you very very much
-Shantel
adg007

Post by adg007 »

Hi Shantel,

Self esteem for you husband should come with time, with me it was little things like skiing again, getting back to work and driving, basically gaining a sort of 'normality' or independance again.
As for tools, I am not sure of too many, although I have not actively sort them out, never found the need, just worked out other alternatives (e.g. my knees became my new hand..put the bottle between your legs and open!). There are the obvious driving aids available which I found I need. As for asking chefs to cut your steaks in restaurants, I always do and have never had any issues, most people are happy to help. Over all I found that doing what you can and accepting the things you cannot, and not being too proud to ask for help when you cant really helped me. Not much I know but hope I assisted in some way?. Let me know if you want any other tips?

Andrew