Mother to a BPI child with oesteoarthrithis in c4 - c6

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
dunloe

Mother to a BPI child with oesteoarthrithis in c4 - c6

Post by dunloe »

Mother to a BPI child with newly discovered oesteoarthritis in my C4 - C6, right now with severe pain in pinched nerves in C5 and C6. I have been in incapacitating pain for about six weeks, and under doctor instruction. The last I spoke with my doctor he said that I needed to find another occupation, one that did not rely on a computer keyboard. Tonight I can not use my arms, this written by a friend , I need educated suggestions as to what my occupation possibilies are. Please advise.

Kindly,

Dunloe

PS; And some of you may recognize my alias, this Christmas has been really difficult, yet yes, my daughter does have some surprises.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Mother to a BPI child with oesteoarthrithis in c4 - c6

Post by F-Litz »

I'm a bodywork therapist and this is what I would tell a client...

don't allow any cold to get to your neck - keep it warm - cover it with a silk scarf

use ginger juice oil to massage your shoulders and back (not your neck) http://www.injurednewborn.com/maia8/ginger.html

seek out a very good chiropractor and a very good bodywork therapist/massage therapist

learn how to do full body stretches

learn how to change your posture immediately
(look for an alexander method practitioner)

use tools that will help support and remind you to keep your posture correct
supportive bras - you can find some good back support bras at http://www.footsmart.com
or use kinesiotape or theratogs

change your work environment to be ergonomic
look at chair height and angles
desk height and angles
arm and hand support
foot stool
etc.
do you have a local "back store" - they can help you with this
check your posture and do stretches once an hour or at least 3 times during your work day

sour cherry juice is a major anti-inflammatory and you take it at night and the melatonin will also help you sleep well
http://www.lelandcherry.com/products_mi ... racle.html

all this means is that you're aging... we all end up with some level of breakdown in our joints..it's good you found out now so that you can make the changes necessary to go forward in health

you can stop this from getting worse and may even be able to reverse the current damage

happy holidays,

-francine
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

here's a book from Smith's sister - from a post on the adult message board...

http://shop.1asecure.com/prod.cfm?Stid= ... odID=48290
dunloe

Post by dunloe »

Very, very much appreciate your reply.

May seem incredibly obvious, but this is a central nervous system problem. Those that know and love me, they know that I am very much A-type. I have been working extremely hard to learn how to calm myself, and to not react physically to issues. This mental practice seems to be working. Yet I will say that as of last night I was in a better pattern with my Ibuprophren and I also drank a quart of cherry juice. Sleeping is difficult, but I did fall asleep from about 3:30 am to 5:30. And I awoke with no pain. Worked a full day, yes I did keep my body very protected from jarring, yet no pain...

I wish to share a very important aspect of these past weeks of terrible pain stemming from my spine, calm is very important. Doctors will tell you to rest, I rested frozen for weeks with frightened anxiety. Rest means to still your mind. To distract your mind toward something positive. I adore fiction, yet I hadn't read any good fiction in years. I grabbed a book, and started to read and became engrossed, the pain diminished. My child wanted me to teach her to knit over Christmas vacation, I sat calmly -- which was really a challenge to me -- with her and taught her to knit, much less pain.

I know that calm is important, but I also see that pain is not too far away. Defecating causes pain, when I merely stumble in my house causes pain. But I know what is supremely important is how much time I allow my spine to rest. I am defintely recovering much more quickly from these jarrings to my spine.

And how do I think of these things as I am experiencing BP injury first hand, and the pain that my infant child might have experienced particularly due to stretching and/or a tear. I think that she was in alot of pain; she never smiled in her first year. At nine months she developed torticollis, the bent neck. My discomfort has not been in torticollis, but my inability to raise my head. I thank God and praise the Lord that I was always in a state of comforting and gently stretching my child.

And, have I learned from this? Yes. I am changing my lifestyle. And my relationhip to my child? It is a psychological mix. I am fairly certain that she remembers her pain, post-birth and post-surgery, yet I was always there in great comfort -- albeit not understanding the comfort that I was providing. But as she matures, pain comes in different forms, related or unrelated to her injury. I am just keeping that love, her methods/rituals in daily life, and an acute eye on things that may be beyond her.

My gift at this Christmas and a New Year has been my pain.

I wish you one and all, happiness, prosperity, joy, love, kindness from others, and Peace in the New Year.

dunloe
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

I understand what you said about pain being your gift because right before Maia's legal case came to be I got pneumonia and then parsonage turner syndrome (the virus attacked my brachial plexus) in my left arm (same as Maia). And the pain and loss that I had taught me what it was like in some ways to be Maia and it helped me get through that time. It was very, very difficult.
dunloe

Post by dunloe »

I want to end this topic.

Message was edited by: dunloe