SUGGESTIONS FOR PARENTS

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
MADECAROLIS

SUGGESTIONS FOR PARENTS

Post by MADECAROLIS »

If you are a parent coping with your child's injury, please continue treatments and exercise no matter how much they cry. I hated it. I remember going to physical therapy, acupuncture, and electrical ttherapy at least three times a week. I never thought it would work. I still don't have 100% movement, but I'm sure in a better state, than if I had not done any treatment. My parents always reminded me to continue moving it in order to keep the nerves and muscles alive. I also had three surgeries, 15 years ago. (not very successful, but they gained much needed research for this condition) The doctor's know much more now.

I think it's important to make sure your child understands what happened and how to treat the problem.
Depression is a big problem, but it only takes a little added momentum to keep us going. Help your children talk about their injury and feelings. Give them lots of encouragement and try not to say "I wish this never happened to you," too much because it always depressed me to see my mom cry. Find what they are good at and nurture it. My parents influenced me to be an artist. Art is a great way to take our mind off on what we can't do. I really only need one good arm (my left arm) to draw and paint. Sculpture is also very theraputic and a great way to exercise the hand.

Exercise is very important. I think the best exercise is swimming, running (running makes all the muscles work) and yoga/pilates. Exercise alone can relieve stress and depression. Yes, I am still facing depression but I am genergally happy. I like to remind myself it could have been worse. I owe my life to a special doctor (I don't know his name)that intervened after birth and helped me start breathing.

Well, I hope this helped. Happy Holidays!
MaryAnne
guest03

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR PARENTS

Post by guest03 »

Thanks so much. I needed that this week.