Small Obstacles

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Small Obstacles

Post by Kath »

I HATE BUFFETS at parties!!

If I am alone it's a big pain and if I am with my husband... he will get me a plate or carry coffee across the room to me...

There is always some JERK around and they usually comments about how SPOILED I am...
or "aren't you the Princess!"
Man would I lake to throw the plate at them but then my husband would have to get me another one...

The last time that happened it was at a wedding and my cousin made the dumb comment.
My husband looked at her and said "where have you been all her life?" Did you forget she has a birth injury?
My well informed cousin told him I was cured years ago!
Talk about being blind and not noticing how I functioned.

grrrr. thanks for the post and an opportunity to vent.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Buffets anywhre. How to carry a bowl of soup and a salad at the same time with a cup of coffee. I usually balance the plate on my mid-drift bulge--alth I have been know to spill. You're right, I left that one out--having to write left handed and getting the ink all over the ring finger on my good hand,--groceries in the good hand and no way to shut the hatchback with the other
Sammy22

Post by Sammy22 »

Yep! shaking hands a big one for me too. And when I graduated from university I couldn't dip my hat like I was supposed to either that bugged me a little.

I agree wth door knobs too.

Getting hot food out of the oven...... its so hard!

As for the group photo thing. I'm a photographer so I try to be the one taking the photo.... if not try to put it behind someone.
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

i hate toll booths... i cant reach the person in the booth and they often have to get out of their little booth to get my money or give me a ticket- or i unbuckle and get to a point where i can reach with my right arm... thank the goddess for EZpass!!! makes that a little better! i didnt learn how to put my hair up until 3 years ago- when i was at my desk and decided to try it... it took like a half an hour- but i did it... and now my hair is short so its easier! i work at a chain coffee shop (Tim Hortons) and they often have me get stock from the back or put it away.. and i usually have to climb to reach it... or to put it away i balance and throw with my right arm... its kinda difficult with nice heavy boxes!!! but yeah... its interesting times!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
laceyj

Post by laceyj »

Thanks for the tip on the photos! Like everyone else I tend to have my own way to do things (the people at work find it really fascinating that when I need to get something awkward or heavy off a high shelf like a lever arch folder, I pull it down with my left arm and then catch it with my chest :)....)

I've just noticed though that my right arm is always next to me in group photos which looks sort of awkward when everyone else has their arms around each other - I might have to try putting it behind me

As for putting my hair in - I bought a set of drawers a few years ago not only beacuse they were nice and stylish but also because the height was practical. I can wegde my elbow on top of them and tilt my head all the way to the side and will usually end up with hair that's not lopsided (always a plus)

Lacey
27, Brisbane - Australia
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Hmm...small obstacles like unloading the dishwasher and dropping dishes. I wished I would have counted how many cups and plates I have broken in my day.

Photos, well I always try to turn to the side so no one will notice. I went to Disneyland with my daughter this June and in one of our photos I am holding my arm up like it's in a brace or something. I find myself doing that a lot in photos...now I try to make sure it's hanging down.

I'm sure no one notices it but me however, it is annoying.
pjams444

Post by pjams444 »

i know people have the same trouble... dancing.. ive come not to care what people think of my arm but still it is very akward dancing i can tell without even looking at my self.. also running because the arm doesnt make the right motion it also looks akward
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Your reply to dancing made me think of when I'm dancing and you go to put your hands up in the air. *LOL* Sorry, I'm laughing at myself, it is quite a site to see.

Or going to a concert, I'm always the girl with one arm up in the air.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

lol I am also that girl with one arm in the air. Hehe sight to see if I try and get both up there.
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
MaureenK

Post by MaureenK »

The YMCA, the Macarena, the chicken dance. I hate all of them. People used to try to drag me on the dance floor at weddings, and I swear this is the only crap they play. Concerts and roller-coasters are some other great moments.