Hands Free can opener as seen on TV...

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
ptrefam

Hands Free can opener as seen on TV...

Post by ptrefam »

Has anyone seen or tried this? I am wondering if it really works with one or no hands? Thought it may be something Dustin could use, if it works. I ran accross it at Shopko and Kohl's.
Sue
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Hands Free can opener as seen on TV...

Post by hope16_05 »

If thats not something that works, I know pampered chef has one that can be used one handed as it locks shut so you can just twist and dont have to hold the handles together. My mom has one and I love it! I need to get myself one but for now I am still in the college phase of every thing cheap.

Let us know if you get this for Dustin and what he thinks of it!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I have the one called "One Touch" that was part of the seen on TV products. Tim got it for me for Christmas. It is easy to use and the first time in my life that I can open something without fear of spilling.

All you do is place it on top of the can and push the button. You only need one hand to place it on top of the can. When it stops, the can is opened. The only thing you have to watch out for is to keep the battery charged. If it stops in the middle of opening because the battery is dead, it is most difficult to get off.

Nancy
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I have a "One Touch" opener to, Nancy, & I LOVE it! I think it's worth it's cost in gold!
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Jake'smom

Post by Jake'smom »

I have this too. It works pretty well. I have two complaints about it though. One, like the other poster said if the battery goes while your opening, it is a serious pain in the you know what to get off!!! Two, I couldn't get it to work for oversized cans. It works great for most day to day things, but I'd definately have a manual or electric backup just in case!!
Shari
PuppetPeople

Post by PuppetPeople »

I bought myself one from the "Kitchen Store" at our Mall for $15.00. It's a Hamilton Beach brand. I love it! Seeing as I was in an im-mobilizer for 3 months it worked great with one hand.

We tried the one from on TV and it didn't work well at all, so returned it. Try looking at the target.com or even walmart.com for it also.

Have a good evening!