Myotrac for use in BPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
katep

Re: Myotrac for use in BPI

Post by katep »

It has an output which basically corresponds to the lights on the machine. It is a 0-2 Volt output which certainly could be sent to a computer.

I just thought that for young babies it just needs to be sent to something like a crib piano or something with exciting lights that they turn on with muscle function. That should NOT be too hard, and babies LOVED to turn things on and off, right??

Kate
Mare

Post by Mare »

Is it possible to rent one to try it I can't afford to buy one and find out it doesn't help frankie, Mare
katep

Post by katep »

Here are a couple places I found that might rent (I haven't tried it myself). If you find one, please let me know and I'll put it on the sEMG board.

http://www.currentmedicaltechnologies.c ... hp?cat=251

http://www.accesshealth.com.au/c_electr ... edback.htm

There are probably others. Let us know!

Personally, I think this is a temporary device and won't be used, even if it provides tremendous success, for more than a couple of weeks. Once your brain gets "in touch" I think it's really going to stay in touch unless something traumatic happens! I'm hoping that people who are done with their device will be able to find it a "new home" via our sEMG board, too. There is no reason why people cannot sell their used medical equipment, even prescription equipment (which this supposedly is, but I wasn't asked for a prescription) as long as they document that they received a prescription. It's a passive device, so there aren't the same risks involved as, say, selling your used e-stim unit.

Kate
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

I'm in! I'm ordering one. Let's not even waste another minute!
Mare

Post by Mare »

Current Medical Technologies 1-800-382-5879 rents the myotrac for $55 a month just have a therapist call to order
mare
katep

Post by katep »

That's fantastic Mare! Now I just hope they have enough machines to meet the demand lol

Kate
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I have been busy showing off my new party tricks...LOL.

I can now raise my hand up and get my hand to my mouth with out major compensation.

I need the instructions for dummies.
I never once thought that I could get new movements because I would not be a good candidate for surgery.

My arm gets tired because I still keep checking to make sure it's real.
But, it's the fatigue that comes from exercising when you haven't for a very long time.
It is a bit super sensitive to touch but I don't think that will go away.
I think the nerves are jumping around because of the work.
I can pick up a pretzel and get it to my mouth elbow out but not up in trumpet.
That is amazing to me.
I have lots of work to do but this looks like fun.
I hate exercise and will have to work to get strength once I get all of my muscles into the club... LOL...
Building on new movements will require work on my part.
Let's hope this is as good as it looks so far.

Thanks again Kate for all your work and encouragement.

Kath robpi/adult 67
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Kath - no offense - but if you can make change at your age - then wow - what are the kids going to be able to do with this ??

This is the first piece of real HOPE I've had in a very long time.

I ordered the unit - now I wish it were here already. I'll video document the whole process (including a BEFORE video) and post it to youtube.

By the way, Kath - if you're having nerve sensations then maybe you want to try a dose of Hypericum 30C a few times a day to counter that. (homeopathic remedy - you can get them at Whole Foods or online)... or get a bottle of St. John's Wort (hypericum) Oil to rub into your arm.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I'm not offended at all just amazed.
Your only as old as you feel and I don't feel old yet. Even though those birthdays keep coming faster and faster.

I was expecting nothing and got something.
I showed my daughter my new tricks last night and her response was " now you can get the cookie and eat it!"

I could always get the cookie, I just could not get it to my mouth.
Thanks to Kate I can still reach out but I am not using my traps to do it.
All of the movement I have in my arm comes from using my traps to move.

I expect the kids to get better results because they are not as set in the patterns of movement as I am.
As they get in touch with and use their muscles they should become stronger.
I will try to build up strength in my muscles once I get the machine and reconnect with them.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
johnstrike

Post by johnstrike »

Will this also work in the case of avulsion where there is no physical connection between nerve and muscle? Maybe the device learn you to use other nerves that have a physical connection between the muscle and brain.

Another point that I don't understand is that you always hear that a primary surgery should be in the first months because after that the muscles starts to die. And now Kath started to use muscles at the age of 67.

Can someone explain this?