Chopping it off - need some advice

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Joy in FL

Re: Chopping it off - need some advice

Post by Joy in FL »

Wow. That is what keeps running through my mind as I read this post. Wow! How much courage it must have taken to finally make the decision. Everyone that has made the decision I commend you!

I have about 50% use of my arm, hand and shoulder. Most days. Of course there are the days I am lucky to get 25% out of it. Regardless it is too much to have amputated. But, I must admit there are times I think of how much easier it might be not to have it at all. I am sure there are amputees out there that would disagree with me!

I wish you so much success and am looking forward to hearing about your progress. I have a friend that use to make prosthetics for a living. Perhaps I can get him to get in on this conversation and offer up some advice.

Jennyb, you crack me up! :D "Sometimes I wonder what able bodied people do with all those arms!" If you ever make it state side I want to have the pleasure of buying you a drink!
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Thanks Joy! I'd love to come to the USA some time, there are a whole bunch of great people I'd love to meet, obpi and tbpi. Plus it's such an amazingly beautiful place, I'd want to do a road trip and end up in Canada. If and when it happens, there will be more than one drink shared, I feel :)
Jen NZ
ronin

Post by ronin »

got mine off 2 years post accident--could not wait to be rid of it--can't imagine going 15 yrs. Best b.p. decision I ever made. I got above elbow--more stump more "base" for a prsthtic--but after 2 yrs I was "programed" to working around it so prosthetic turned out to be useless.
My prosthetic was DEFINITLY not cosmetic-- black carbon fiber, titanium and stainless steel--I needed a tool not something pretty--so I have no opinion on cosmetic arms other than I see no need personally. I think you'll never regret getting that ball and chain hacked off---good luck and congrats.-by the way--WARNING!!!!!--get used to people not remotely understanding that your amputation was elective. It boggles thier minds and they will not be able to get thier heads wrapped around it--ESPECIALLY DOCTORS. You will go from a brachial plexus "victim" to "amputee" and they will not be able to see past your stump to the real issue of avulsed nerves.
IF YOU HAVE PAIN AND GO TO A DR. HE WILL say--"WELL A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE AMPUTATIONS AND THEY (fill in the blank)"
don't need medicine, deal with it, learn to live with it, etc,etc
Pier Jumper

Post by Pier Jumper »

Ronin - thank you for the reply, input and advice. much appreciated.

-Rich