Any issues with Collar bone on BPI arm? Son has this at 9 yrs

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
bugsntazz

Any issues with Collar bone on BPI arm? Son has this at 9 yrs

Post by bugsntazz »

Good Evening

My son has a BPI injury from birth. He is now 9 years old. He had nerve graft at 9 months old, MOd Quad at 20 months old, bicept lengthening at 3 years old. He has pretty good function. Two years ago at age 7, we started noticing that his collar bone on his BPI arm was appearing right under his skin. He then took a fall at Sunday school, and it appeared that his collar bone moved 3 inches out. He was diagnosed with a 2nd degree ACL sprain to his BPI shoulder. He is now 9 years old, and recently got taller. He still has the collar bone sticking up and it appears to have gotten bigger. It appears like a bump at the end of his shoulder near the ball area. This seems to be puzzling doctors. He does not complain of any pain, but it has reduced his overhead motion. We are aware that this maybe just normal for his BPI shoulder, but it just really started to grow this way over the past two years. Was wondering if any adults have a collar bone that appears to be dislocated but not really? sticking up under skin? We are scheduled to see an ortho on thursday, to see what he says.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Any issues with Collar bone on BPI arm? Son has this at 9 yrs

Post by hope16_05 »

hope you get some news from the ortho! My collar bone sticks out a bit but I think its still "normal" in comparrison to my other one. A big reasons that mine is more noticible is my recent surgery was involving my pec major (transfer to my scapula) so now it sticks out a bit more but doesnt limit me at all.

With your sons mod quad what muscles did they tranfer or release? That could be part of it. Good luck!!!!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
nwatson28

Re: Any issues with Collar bone on BPI arm? Son has this at 9 yrs

Post by nwatson28 »

I have BPI in my right arm(since birth) and my shoulder and collar bone have been affected. My right collar bone does protrude more than my left one and my shoulder is also "rounded".
It did seem to be more noticeable as I was growing up especially during the skinny, long legged stage.
Good health! :)Nancy Ann