School's right around the corner!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

School's right around the corner!

Post by tylergsmom »

Ok....so I think I do this every year, but I am freaking out about what I need to do as far as letting the school know what kinds of speical needs Tyler may need. He is going to be in the 4th grade this year, and I'm not sure about anything. I haven't read alot into the 504 or IEP stuff....so I don't really understand what it does...or what it's needed for. Most things I have requested, the teachers or the principals just go along with. However, the higher he gets up in school, I may need to go the 504 or IEP route. Any suggestions??

~Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
brandonsmom

Re: School's right around the corner!

Post by brandonsmom »

Laura,
Is he in the same school? Brandon is going into fourth grade too and I don't ever have a problem. Most of his teachers PE and Computers are aware of his situation and go along with what I think needs to be done. His fourth grade teacheris the same as my daughter had and he is just wonderful and will go along with what I say. 504 and IEP's are alot of work, I know my older daughter has one, they can take sometime to complete !!! If you can work with everyone, and there are no problems I would do it tha way you did it in the past. Lots of documentation....I always make up BPI folders for the teacher, nurses aid and the PE teacher just as a refresher. Thank you for reminding me that time is coming, time to print all those helpful things off of UBPN !!!\
GAYLE
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Post by tylergsmom »

He's going to a different school. So NONE of them know anything about his injury. I drug out all of my "school bpi" paper work last night, and I think I'm just going to update it and go from there. I'm going to meet his teacher on Monday night, so i'll have everything prepared and ready to go for her. School starts next week! I can't believe Summer is already over!

~Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
amie0709

Post by amie0709 »

As a special education teacher....

I would suggest doing a 504 plan....just so its done. You will probably want one in the future, so you might as well take care of it now. You will have to attend a few meetings at school, but its worth the time.
A 504 would be a better bet, probably, than an IEP.....http://specialchildren.about.com/od/504s/f/504faq2.htm.
ALso, doing this now will help you get to know the staff and others that can help your child along the way

While teachers and prinicipals are often understanding, it is nice to have documentation that your child requires special services...this way no one can legally decide that they dont want to provide them.

Good luck!