We're back

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
amie0709

We're back

Post by amie0709 »

Steph had her appointment in Cincinnati yesterday. We have her scheduled for surgery on the 22 of August. I cried when I found out....I knw what was coming, bc of her lack of bicep movement, but it made it real when the doctors finally said it.

they said the typical surgery lasts about 4 1/2 hours and that well likely be in the hospital for 2 nights.
Since the surgery is on the 2nd day my students are back at work, I'm gonna need to get ea sub....does anyone have any idea how many days I should plan for? I know no cases are the same, but a ballpark would help....I just have NO IDEA what to expect, so any insights into the surgery would be great.
Thanks!

take care,

Amie
angelsmom

Re: We're back

Post by angelsmom »

what kind/type of surgery and what doc??
amie0709

Post by amie0709 »

Primary....they said they might have to do a nerve graft using her legs.
the BP clinic in Cinci....Foad, Michaud and yakuboff
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

When Brandon had his 9 years ago, I probably could have returned to work immediately. They took his nerve from behind the ear though that may make a difference. Se who comes around and what they say, but I Would say 2 weeks max, if the babysitter will take her back that soon !!!
claudia

Post by claudia »

Amie:
Juliana had extensive nerve grafting. They used the nerve from behind the ear (aural) but also needed nerve material from her leg (sural). She had a bright purple ace bandage on her left leg to hold it in place so she wouldn't stretch the stiches. She had the "3 point" surgery on her leg. That means that instead of cutting all the way down her calf, they made three small cuts: one behind her knee, one under the calf muscle and one on the outside of her ankle. She popped the stitches on the ankle...of course... so those are ugly, otherwise the leg stitches are pretty unnoticable.

Well, the kids pop back from sugery faster than we do! I was an emotional train wreck. But within 2 days she was a happy camper. As I recall, the hardest was the first day after surgery. She hadn't eaten (of course) on the day of surgery, so that night and the next day, my every 4 hour eater, was suddenly eating a tiny bit every 2 hours or so. It was round the clock feedings. I got no sleep, which made it even harder for me. (Note: my hubby had to leave the morning after surgery, so I was on my own in Houston) By the second day, she was eating better, and so she felt better and slept better and so did I.

The baby will be "wrapped up"--that is, protected, so as soon as the babysitter will take her back you can send her to the sitters... I would say 2 days for surgery and 2-3 days home (for your peace of mind.

good luck,
claudia
Mica

Post by Mica »

Amie,

You're right in that every child is different following this surgery. However, it was a solid 2 weeks before I was comfortable leaving Aria with ANYONE except my husband.

Aria was pretty sore following her primary, and it took her a bit to get used to being wrapped up like a mummy! However, she seemed to really make a turn at about the 2 week mark and was back to her happy, smiling self.

One of the main reasons I hesitated to leave Aria with anyone was the difficutly she had turning her head, even the slightest bit, in the weeks directly following her surgery. It really made feeding her a challenge. Burping her was also very hard, as we couldn't pat her back without her screaming in pain. (We held her horizontally in our arms and tilted her up and down gently until she burped. This worked well for us, and Aria thought it was fun.)

Steph may be one of the children who isn't phased much by primary, and who is back to her old self very soon. However, if it were me, I'd ask for the 2 weeks off and speak to your supervisor about possibly coming back sooner if Steph is doing well.

Good luck - and let us know how she does!