Introducing Myself

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
amie0709

Introducing Myself

Post by amie0709 »

Hello, everyone! I came to this board becaue my daughter has a BPI. It occured at her birth on April 30th. We are in therapy, and I think she is doing pretty well. I am just looking to get more info and see how others are "dealing" with this.

:)
Mica

Re: Introducing Myself

Post by Mica »

Welcome to the board, Amie!
angelsmom

Post by angelsmom »

Amie welcome! You'll find Alot of Great info and Wonderful people to help you out. I am sorry to hear about your baby though but glad you found this board :)
I tend to use the Serch alot and ask alot of questions, everyone has always been really helpful. Oh, Iam Melanie (aka angelsmom) our daughter is Angelina age 4 with BP of her right arm.
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Hi Amie,

Welcome to our boards. I'm glad that you found us, although I am sorry that you needed to find us. I learned from Carolyn J. that you are welcome to post on any board, and that no questions are dumb.

Joanie, LOBPI, 58 years
mommieinneed

Post by mommieinneed »

Welcome. I am pretty new too and I just have to say this forum is wonderful. I have learned so much in such a little amount of time about bpi and how caring the people on this forum are, hope you find the same.
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Hi, Amie. Welcome to the boards. I'm glad that you found us so you can hopefully find the information that you are seeking. I'm sorry that your daughter was injured. Glad to hear she is doing well. We have a 4 1/2 year old daughter, named Amber, who is ROBPI (right obstetrical brachial plexus injury, so she was injured on her right side during birth). Never a question that can't be asked here. I'm sure there's always someone else who has wondered the same question before. This is definitely a place where I have learned a lot over the past 4 years. Ask away, look for personal support, and welcome to the family. Keep the therapy us, do the ROM exercises, stretch, stretch, stretch, educate yourself, and enjoy your daughter.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WELCOME AMIE!, to the UBPN Family.
Joanie,[thanks!], said it for me..

more later...

HUGS Heal!,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI/69 :^)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Welcome to the message boards!

Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Amie

Welcome to the Message Boards.

Kath robpi/adult 67
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
swtbtrcup

Post by swtbtrcup »

Hi. Welcome to the board. I am new also. My daughter, Miranda, has an ROBPI. She was born March 27th so our girls are close in age.

Carol