Surgery Finished & back home

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Surgery Finished & back home

Post by hope16_05 »

Karen,
wow! You are dealing with a lot, so sorry to hear about the infection and the picc line. I havent had one but my dad has and they are not fun! I hope they got the infection or with the surgery and the antibiotics! Feel better soon!!! Did they give you an update on your shoulder while you were there?

I havent been able to watch my nephew as I had hoped. My sister actually lost her job due to torne rotator cuff. She needs therapy several times a week and a couple weeks off of work and they fired her. So she is also without a job. I do babysit when she has her appointment or wants to go out. Changing him was tricky but I managed! Now I am mostly out of my splint so changing him should get much easier, I just need to gain the strength in my hand again.
Thanks for reading my update! I need to update again since I had my 4 week post op appt on Tuesday. Havent gotten that far yet, maybe tonight.

I do hope that your infection clears up and you get good news for your shoulder!!!
Bug hugs! And wishes of a speedy recovery!
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Karen
You have really had a hard time and on top of it an infection. I hope all the drugs work and you will soon feel better and start to see some good results from your surgery.

I know what a picc line is because my daughter has MS and from time to time has to have one inserted. I feel so bad for anyone having to use one. I have had them a few times and don't do well the veins don't hold up.

I hope all goes well from now on and you have a speedy recovery from this infection.

Kath adult/robpi
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
PuppetPeople

Post by PuppetPeople »

Hi Kath,

Thanks for the well wishes.

As of right now, midnight Sunday, I am fasting again. We are heading back to Rochester,MN about 8 AM. My incision is leaking again and the resident Dr. said he wants us to see Dr. Sanchez at 11 AM Monday.

So here we go "On the road again!". I am thinking that the new metal "ball" joint is going to be coming out of the shoulder. So keep the prayers going, please. I don't have access to the internet while there, so will update when I return home.

Karen
Karen McClune

Post by Karen McClune »

Karen,

Best of luck today. Let us know how you are doing once you are home again.

My thoughts are you

Hugs,

Karen
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Karen,
You are in my thoughts and prayers today. I hope all goes well.

HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Karen,
Sounds like you have had a rough time. My thoughts and prayers are also with you.Let us know how you are doing when you get home....Judy
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Sending thoughts and prayers your way!!! I hope every thing works out and your new joint does not have to come out.
Hang in there!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
PuppetPeople

Post by PuppetPeople »

Greeting From Methodist Hospital!
Finally got to use the computers in the library.
Yes, I was admitted on Monday afternoon again.
On Tuesday they did surgery again and took out the "ball" joint. I watched a few fireworks from an empty room with others,but only for a bit cause the pain returned.

Today I had another Picc line put into my arm. Hurt just as bad as the first time. First one was giving us trouble from the start.

I may be getting out tomorrow not sure yet. If any one is here I am in room 5415 if you feel like meeting each other.

Hope Everyone has a great day!!
Karen
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Karen

I'M keeping you on the prayer list.
Sorry things have been so rough.
I hope this time things go better and your soon on the road to recovery.

I also hope the picc line stays in and is more comfortable. UGH... they are a horror.

Hugs
Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
hope16_05

Post by hope16_05 »

Karen, I am so sorry to hear that they took out the ball joint. Man what a bummer and such an unfun way to spend your 4th. I hope that your pain goes away asap!!! Wish I had my paycheck this week so I could come down and meet you! Not working for 5 weeks from my surgery has killed my budget :( Sending you some virtual hugs since I cant be there to get you the real ones.
Feel better!!!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN