New to Boards

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Taylor

New to Boards

Post by Taylor »

Hi I'm Taylor. I am 8 yrs old and asked my Mom how to find more people like me. I didn't think there were more like me and she told me about UBPN. I have a LOBPI from birth. Are there any other kids out there to talk to about our injury? I do most things with my right arm and have problems with 2 handed things, like buttons, zipping, carrying heavy things. Mom bought me a button and zipper puller, but they don't really help with getting the zipper put together to be able to pull it up. Hope to meet some others like me.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: New to Boards

Post by Kath »

Taylor
I hope that some of the Mom's will let their children post back to you.
I use to think I was the only one with this injury and was so happy to meet other adults who were injured like me.

I met many people through UBPN.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
parent needing help
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 03/28/2000 OBPI. rc5-6 rupture, rc7-8 avulsion rt1 stretch. L humeral fx lc7 stretch

Post by parent needing help »

Hy Taylor!

I am grandma to Kate, just turning age 7. I will be sure to tell her about you but really she has not mastered typing or working on the computer much yet. She has just recently started questioning us about her injury and function.

I hope you get lots of answers and I hope that Kate takes an interest in talking with you, although at her stage I cannot promise. I do know that she would benefit greatly in having the knowledge and resources of this board and more kids like you!

Welcome to the boards sweetie!
Christy & Katie Chapman
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Hi Taylor, my mom showed me your post so I could write to you. My mom invented something called the zippy string that will help you do your zipper. She made it for me but it is really for anyone who only has one arm. I couldn't get the zipper together until she made this for me. Maybe she will make you one. My email is bratzfan@litzfamily.com. You can email me. I am 9 and I will be in fourth grade next year. I also have a website and my own message board. www.injurednewborn.com/maia8. I hope you email me.
Maia
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WELCOME Taylor!! I am sooo very proud of you, and you too Maia, for writting on our Message Board! If you have questions for us adults who have the same injury as you, please ask us. There are no dumb questions!

I wish I had a friend like both of you when I was your age! It is wonderful to hear from you both. :^)'s :)

HUGS Heal!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI age 69 :^)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'M SO EXCITED! Thank you for writing. My e-mail is theliskaladies@yahoo.com for any other kids to write to too. Maia, My Mom says she knows you're Mom from here. I will definitely e-mail you! I would be glad to help answer any questions too. I am happy to make so many new friends.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Hi Taylor! I am a little bit older than you, I am 20. My injury is to my right arm but I thought I might be able to help you figure some things out. I do just about every thing with my left hand but the more I try with my right the stronger it gets.

Jackect are tricky and to be honest mine still gives me some trouble. Its easier if the jacket is just a little bit big that way you have more room to get the end of the zipper where ever it is easiest to work with. I cant reach down to the ottom of the zipper very easy so I bring it up to where I can hold it. Not sure if that makes sense, if not let me know and I can get my sister to take some pictures and I can email them to you.

Not sure if it will work for you since you would be doing things with your right hand and I use my left but, buttoning pants is easiest for me if I stick my pointer finger through the button hole grab the edge of the button and then with my thumb on the back side of the button push/pull it through the hole.

Not sure how to help you with carrying heavy things, I usually had to find a way that worked best for me depending on the object. I also have a brother and sister who help me if I need them to. I dont know about you but I hate asking for help but sometime its better if we do.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask me any questions you may have! Good luck finding more people your age!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from Minnesota
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
bugsntazz

Post by bugsntazz »

Hello Taylor,

Hi, I am Donyal. I am almost nine years old. My birthday is next Friday the 22nd. I am going into the fourth grade. I have a cat named Duma. I also have a LOBPI from birth. I like to swim in my pool. Bye Donyal
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WELCOME, Donyal!!
You guys are soooo lucky to have friends here around the same age!! I met the great people here at age in 2004, at age 65;...until that time I thought I was the only one with this Injury.

Please come back here and give us your thoughts and experiences too. I learn something from every one.

HUGS, <<<<HUG))))
Carolyn J
LOBPI/69
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Alyssa

Post by Alyssa »

hi im alyssa im from california im almost 10 i have the same injury and same side all the problems you have must be a strugle for you because i dont have those problems usally. i have talked to no kids on here im a litle shy but at least i have one person to talk to its you. i would like you to be my pen pal please email me at 1crazyvirgo@gmail.com i hope i here from you bye