Hey Sue!! How is Dustin?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
racinjason75

Hey Sue!! How is Dustin?

Post by racinjason75 »

Sue, just wondering how Dustin is doing now. Are yall still talkin about a muscle transfer?

I have been working out at my gym for the last 2 1/2 months..I think this has been the best for me...

Bicep finally started "moving"..i can flex it but it cant bend or move my arm...tricep is getting stronger, i think it actually overpowers the bicep. shoulder is stronger, lats are getting stronger...

new movement in everything...specially in the pool...no bicep yet..hahaa...

im bout ready to start my creatine and supplement program...like I did when younger...

ill keep you and everyone posted....

its been 13 months now since injury...i go to therapy 3 to 5 times a week...and work out 3 times at night.

take care,

jason in texas
ptrefam

Re: Hey Sue!! How is Dustin?

Post by ptrefam »

Hey Jason,
How u doing? Dustin is good. He tried Creatin and Amino acids for a while, but to be honest didn't seem to change any faster than it was on it's own. So, he hasn't taken them for a couple of weeks now. Still gets in the pool when he can make it during the hospital time. He has postponed the gracilis transfer until Aug. The surgery would have been the day before summer semester started and he decided to take Biology. Also my husband was able to get him a part time job again this summer so he really wanted to do that. Just means he'll end the job early and have the surgery after his course is done. We do keep seeing a few changes. The other day he showed me that when he puts the elbow up shoulder height and bends the hand toward his mouth he can now hold it in gravity. We were trying tin can food in the pool for weight. But they weren't adding much so we have moved to fishing weights which should weight the same as on land. He can easily do 7oz and a couple of times with 9oz. Now I just have a cupboard of mystery cans, lol. Yesterday he rode his bike about 9 miles!! Last year he couldn't keep the balance on a bike. He did say his tricep was tired after that ride. What excercises are you doing? Do you do like bicep curls? I keep thinking if I could get him to do that maybe it would help the bad arm. I know it wouldn't be like working the good arm but if he uses a machine where both arms are working maybe the injured one would get some benefits.
Sounds like you are moving on and doing good. Glad to hear from you.
Sue
racinjason75

Post by racinjason75 »

well....glad yall have good news too..9 miles on a bike? im scared i will fall off...hahaa...
my workout consist of about 2 mile walk, then 5 minutes on stair climber deal, then 15 minutes on elliptical machine that works arms and legs...then i take 10 minutes on a "hand bike" machine...then i do the air resistance machines...with both arms on each exercise

i know that i cant do things with it but i can feel it trying..after each rep. i lower the air and try with my injured arm...or back or chest...

i have gained strength in my back and chest and am able to do some isolated sets with those muscles. there is one machine that does tricep curl downs...on this machine i can do a few reps with 10 pounds...from a certain starting point...

bicep? well, its moving nut not working, i do an exercise where i curl with both arms...hoping to send the signals to injured bicep...it seems my tricep is way stronger and kind of over powers my bicep...

i do get in the pool atleast 1 day a week...for about 2 hours..no weights just work against jet currents and floaties..havr lots of movement in pool...still no bicep!!!

after therapy my arm is real tight...and is tired all night!! when i exercise it gets bright red, on the area where i stll have no feeling...

we also took out this old stem unit...it shocks hard and strong...not sure why everyone doesnt use it other than "patient comfort"...you have to wet a pad and place it under your leg/butt cheek or on your back. the machine runs a high voltage and really makes my arm jump...but not the bicep yet..lol...dam ol bicep!!

ok ok...that was a lot...hope things continue well!!

see ya

jason
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Dear Sue...& Jason too,
PLEASE give Dustin a ((((HUG)))) from me. He is doing things right-on for him, making good decisions and working hard going forward. I, for one, am very proud of him and you for your constant work and support of him!!

Jason, what you are doing for yourself is fantastic also! Keep up the good workouts. It does you good to become weary[tired out to sleep good]. ((((HUGS)))) to you too,Kiddo. :^)

Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI