cheerleading question

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
muzik2407

cheerleading question

Post by muzik2407 »

HELLO, My six year wants to do cheerleading. Any suggestions on helping her and what can I share with the coach?
thanks
claudia

Re: cheerleading question

Post by claudia »

First off, bravo for to her for wanting to pursue this!

As for what to tell the coach: that depends on the amount of function you daughter has. Most likely, you will have to clue the coach in to an arm that might not straighten the same amount as the unaffected arm, that will be weaker and that might not be able to handle a object as well. If she can't support her weight on her affected arm, then handstands will be a problem. If she has figured out how to fake it, then all the better. Same with cartwheels.

good luck and have fun!
claudia
muzik2407

Post by muzik2407 »

thanks for replying. i'm excited for her to start. she loves performing and this will definitely show her great personality. i will point out the arm to the coach. thanks again
stanleyars
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I have a LOBPI. No surgeries were performed as the injury was not well known at that time. In 2007 I found this website and was able to put a name with my injury. I debate having surgeries but have never seen a doctor for my injury. The secondary strain on my body has finallly caught up with me. I am only 26 and can't explain the amount of pain I feel in my back or shoulder to none BPI people. They do not understand the physical strain. I was blessed with a beautiful baby boy 10 months ago.....but he has become to reason for much of my pain. I will take pain any day then give up motherhood!

Post by stanleyars »

I have a LOBPI. I would say my injury has not affected my movement to much. I can't straighten my arm, raise it over my head, or put it behind my back. I went to a small private school in junior high. There were only 10 girls in my class and only 6 of us wanted to be a cheerleader. So it was fun for me and my arm was not an issue.

However, I decided to try-out for the high school cheerleading squad. I informed the coach that I had limited movement in my arm. I was not choosen as a cheerleader,and when I asked the coach why she said it was because I could not straighten my arm or raise my arm over my head. I was heart broken.
Brandy524

Post by Brandy524 »

I have an LOBPI. I was never a cheerleader (just didn't want to) but I was on danceline in high school. My arm wasn't extremely noticeable. I tried out with everyone else and made it every year without any problems. I told them I couldn't straighten my arm, but that apparently didn't influence their decision. And only one time in four years did anyone ever mention that my arm wasn't straight. After a marching competition we were listening to the tape of the judges' comments and one of them said something about my arm not being straight. I had a great experience with danceline and wouldn't have traded it for anything.
Ruthie's Mom

Post by Ruthie's Mom »

My daughter, Ruthie, just finished a week of clinics in preparation for cheerleading tryouts. She had been on the sophomore squad and captain of the JV squad. But, during the week, several coaches kept pointing out her not-quite-straight arm and her elbow that won't stay tucked into her side. She did not make the varsity squad for her senior year, so her cheerleading is over. She is heartbroken. Her regret now is that she didn't stay more involved in soccer where her arm wouldn't matter. UGGG.

When she became interested in cheering I was so amazed at her willingness to risk this criticism - that I just kept encouraging and praying.

On top of this sad week, she is having a humeral osteotomy on Friday morning.

Please keep a good thought for my Ruthie.

Thanks,
Nancy
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I will have Ruthie in my Prayers this coming Friday ,that all goes well.
Please let us all know how Surgery & Post Rehab goes.

HUGS,HUGS(extra for Ruthie!!),
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI/68
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Nancy,

I'll be praying for Ruthie.

Joanie
Katiesmom0514

Post by Katiesmom0514 »

HI all;
This topic is near and dear to my heart because my almost 5 year old Katie has her little heart set on being a cheerleader. She still has a few years (3 years until pee wee league around our parts) before she puts on a uniform. However, I have always and will always tell her that she can do whatever she puts her mind to. It truly saddens me that coaches can use our little girls (or boys) injuries against them. The injured arm should not even be a consideration....it just all seems like discrimination to me. It's just not fair what our kids have to deal with.

OK, I'm done ranting. I applaud your girls efforts and encourage them to continue in their pursuits!! I'm cheering for them all!!

Love and Prayers,

Cheri, Mom to Katie, 4, LOBPI

P.S. Rutie is in our prayers as she goes through this difficult time and her surgery. I hope she has a speedy recovery!
Mica

Post by Mica »

Nancy,

Please forgive this question - but would you be willing to share what the humeral osteotomy surgery will help your Ruthie with? Our daughter, Aria, is 8 months old, and about 10 weeks post primary surgery. I read the posts from parents with older children so I can learn and be better prepared to help Aria.

Will the surgery help Ruthie gain more movement, or does it help to prevent secondary complications?

I hope this Friday goes smoothly for your family, and we will pray for Ruthie to get great results!

mica