Bike Riding

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Amy Clark

Bike Riding

Post by Amy Clark »

Hi everyone,

We just met with Dr. Water's today for a post-op visit. In kind of a side-note discussion with him, we talked about bike riding, and I asked him some questions that he referred me back here for the answers! :) It was nice to hear him recommend our group! He would like to know what some of you have done to assist your children with riding bikes. Specifically, Lexi's arm is significantly shorter on the right than on the left. Consequently, she is always making a giant right hand circle. Have any of you fine parents succeeded in rigging something together to aid with this problem, or are there devices out there to help us compensate?
We would appreciate some input in this area, and Dr. Waters has asked that I present to him some solutions to bikeriding from our group. Let's make ourselves proud! :)

Sincerely, Amy Clark
Mica

Re: Bike Riding

Post by Mica »

Amy,

We're not to the bike riding age yet, as Aria is not quite 8 months, but your query got me thinking...

Could you extend the right handle bar by the appropriate length so that she could ride her bike with both arms fully extended?

Good luck! :)

mica
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I used to have the handlebars adjusted for my LOBPI side, so that arm would be straight, and my right arm bent when riding. I too used pedal brakes for a long time, until I was very comfortable with bike riding and could use handbrakes. It took me a long time to learn how to ride a 2 wheeler without the training wheels too, I was afraid of tipping over onto my left (unprotected side). But by 8 or 9 I was ok.

Have fun!
Marieke (31, LOBPI)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Go to a bike store and see what they have for you to fix the bike. I haven't had to do anything for Brandon, but I know our local bike shop sells adaptive equiptment !!! GAYLE
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

My solution was to ride a smaller bike that I could handle easier as I only used my left hand. My right is a bit supinated and holding the handle was tricky or uncomfortable. Eventually I had enough strength in my left arm to do every thing. Then I learned to ride with no hands, I could even turn with no hands!
My guess is that this will have to be another one of those things that Lexi has to find a way that works for her.

Good luck and have fun!
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Mare

Post by Mare »

Amy Frankie is 14 and always rode with just his right hand as he got older and wanted a mountain bike I bought one at a local bike shop and they put the gears and brake all on the right Good luck Mare
Amy Clark

Post by Amy Clark »

Thanks for your posts. I think, as some of you have mentioned, the biggest battle to conquer is just the fear! Once she gets used to riding, I'll bet she'll get really good at it. It is nice to know, however, that there are extensions available because of her shortness in that arm. I'll pass your comments on to Dr. Waters, and any others that you may have to add. Thank you!
parent needing help
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 03/28/2000 OBPI. rc5-6 rupture, rc7-8 avulsion rt1 stretch. L humeral fx lc7 stretch

Post by parent needing help »

thanks for posting this!! I was glad to hear that they will figure it out about 8 or 9. We are at 7 recently and no where near ready to take off those training wheels.
Christy & Katie Chapman
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Yeah, scary enough until I felt comfy.. so comfy that as I got older I started messing aorund on my bike and trying things that were not the safest (yes I wore a helmet) and then as an adult used to ride my bike through Monday morning rush-hour traffic! LOL.... not the best idea in downtown Montreal! Nice big city with lots of cars/buses/taxis.. crazies!
:)
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Amy Clark

Post by Amy Clark »

bumping up for Taylor