Forearm Osteotomy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Michele6789

Forearm Osteotomy

Post by Michele6789 »

Hi,
This is my first post and I need some help. Our daughter is 2 1/2 years old with a ROBPI. She had primary surgery at four months of age and now may need further surgery(s). Her palm usually faces out (supinates, I think that's how it is spelled) and we were told that she should have a forearm osteotomy. That is when they break one of the bones in the forearm and place a pin in there and then the palm will be in neutral position facing her body which would make it easier for her to use her hand. I am scared to death and would appreciate it if anyone has information or has gone through this with their child. Thanks for you time.
Sincerely,
Michele
Ruthie's Mom

Re: Forearm Osteotomy

Post by Ruthie's Mom »

Hi Michele,

My 17 year old daughter is having an osteotomy of the humerous in April. Even though she is older than your little girl, she is still my baby and I'm scared, too.

Two doctors have explained to us that even though it sounds grizzly (breaking bones voluntarily ...ugg) it is less complicated than the primary surgery and a quicker recovery.

I'll post later this spring and let you know how it goes for us.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
Nancy
srrivera

Post by srrivera »

Michele,
I am also from Wyoming(originally)and was pleased to see you are too!! I also have a 2 (almost 3) year old who is going to Houston next week for his first surgery....a tri-tilt then later this summer to return for the forearm osteotomy. We too are extremely anxious about the thought of surgery. I would love to hear your story. If you would like to contact me, my email is jaynshay@cox.net.
Good luck to you,
Shaily
ksass

Post by ksass »

Michelle
Hi, our 10 year old daughter is to have the forearm surgery with Dr. Davino on May 24th. Have you found anything else out? My biggest question is I am wondering if supination is lost to gain pronation?
ksass

Post by ksass »

I would like to hear more of your story. Our 10 year old daughter is due to have the forearm surgery this month with Dr. Davino in TX.
My biggest question is does she lose supination to gain pronation? Did your daughter lose any function? Thanks, Kris
ksass@cedargrovebelgium.k12.wi.us
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

The way it was explained to me and thwe reason I chose not to have the forearm osteotomy is that you do lose supination past neutral to gain pronation. For me, I know my hand works well enough in a supinated position but I have no idea how it would work in a pronated position. I am not willing to lose one to gain the other. Thats a huge decision to think about. I hope your daughter is able to think clearly and make the best choice for her!
Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN