Living w/UBPN

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Kat

Living w/UBPN

Post by Kat »

20 years ago I had a beautiful baby girl in AK. Unfortunately she had somewhat of a traumatic birth. She was born what we were told with Erbs Paulsy. Never heard of it. Her Pediatrician researched it (she was only the 4th noted case in AK at that time). We did extensive and excruciating therapy for a year Occupational therapy,Physical therapy, therapy in a pool. This was all before her 1st bday. She has lived and dealt with this everyday. I have read some of the stories on this website and believe she would have had surgery if she had been born now.
We were originally told she would not have full range motion in her Left arm, it would be shorter, smaller in circumference and weaker. All true.
She has grown up playing softball,soccer,volleyball,was a great swimmer(when her scapula wasn't hurting or a nerve pinched)in high school she was one of the best players on her water polo team.
Today her scapula still sticks out and at times her arm is numb and tingles. On and off throughout her years she has done physical therapy.
Her injury consisted of pulling the brachial plexus. It was not torn.
She is the one that found this support website, wish i had it 20 years ago.
Today, she is in college and still plays water polo occassionally, she is still an active swimmer and now is also a diver. She plans to work with mammals. She loves the water.
Brittany

Re: Living w/UBPN

Post by Brittany »

Hi im Kat's daughter and i just want to say you hit the nail on the head. My parents did a wonderful job raising me to live with my BPI. Before I found this site I didnt even realize it was a disability, it was just one more thing I had to live with. I am very lucky my parents were so dedicated to me and spent all the time (physically and emotionally) to help me get to where I am today. Because of all their time and dedication I have almost full range of motion in my arm, although, like my mother said, I dont have very good sensation and it still causes me pain. But because of how my parents raised me Ive learned to live with this, not as a disability, but a way to learn how to better myself without focusing on the bad things, such as my arm.
Anyways I just wanted to say that my mother, and my father, did very well with me and its because of them that my injury healed as well as it did.
Also to all those who have BPI and are sometimes bummed about it because it may cause hardships in your life, just remember that you are special and you should realize that this isnt a disability, its a way that allows us to appreciate things in life that other people take for granted.
okay well also like my mother said im in college and well i have chemistry homework calling to me.
Keep Smiling!!!!

haha i forgot to sign it.
Brittany, age 20 (LOBPI)

Message was edited by: Brittany
Kat

Post by Kat »

Louise,
Thanks for the nice email. As you can see from her response she has grown into a mature and nice young lady. Cudos to her for not letting it get to her. She is and always has been a high achiever. I wish I had this info years ago. Thanks again for the words of encouragement. Good Luck and God Bless you and your daughter.
Kat
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Kat and Brittany,

Every BPI-er I have ever met Online AND in person since finding UBPN in 2004 and attending CAMP 2005, we ALL ARE high achievers. IT is in our DNA I believe.

Welcome to the UBPN Family. I hope you both can come to CAMP 2007 Labor Day weekend here in WA State so I can give you a HUG in person. Attending this Family multi-generational family Camp is a Lifechanging and Healing experience, believe me!

Send your mailing address to nancy@ubpn.org to get OUTREACH Magazine...next issue will be all about CAMP 2007.

HUGS all around,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI, age 68 &1/2 and proud of it!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI