Yet again another question!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
punchy sue

Yet again another question!

Post by punchy sue »

I haven't been on this board for a looonnngg time and the last time I'm sure I asked a question. So here I am again, just using you for your collective knowledge - but I guess that's what this site is for!? I need to know what type of docter you see for "maintainence". This would be medical care after surgery, EMG's, physical therapy, lobotomies and all other procedures that unfortunately we must subject our bodies to. If you are a veteran of this injury - what type of docter worked best for your needs? Is a general practitioner able to grasp the complexity of TBPI? I'm coming up on four years post accident and still feel like it's day one when dealing with docters, or more precisely, docter's egos. Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

THANX
LOVE SUSAN
srhykerd

Re: Yet again another question!

Post by srhykerd »

Susan, Boy that's a good question! I guess we haven't reached the "maintenance" stage yet. My daughter will just be coming up to the year mark in May after her nerve and muscle transfers. Everyone we have come into contact with other than those at the Mayo Clinic know nothing about this type of injury and surgery. My daughter has had to explain over and over especially with OT and PT her dos and don'ts! I think I'd ask your surgeon who they recommend in your area and pray for the best. I have had very good success with getting answers to my questions whenever I call the Mayo Clinic for anything. Good luck, Sue
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Hey Susan,
I've got a great answer for ya, a physiatrist!
(not to be confused with your much needed psychiatrist!)

Physiatrists are a little know speciality doctor that deal specifically with your over all body mechanics, usage, and muscles. I got turned on to a great one up in San Francisco, Gerald P. Keane, M.D, when I was looking into getting my shoulder fused and devising a sling that would allow my to run and be more physically aggressive in general. He pointed me in some good directions and was the first doctor that was absorbing and interested in the whole picture of my injury and how it affected my body.

If you want, I can give him a call and ask for a referral, or you can call and tell him I referred you. He'd probably recommend a doc tied into the NFL since he's a consultant team physician for the San Francisco Forty-Niners.

Here's a link to his website and team of docs that he works with, they're all really solid doctors/humans.

Good luck,
Christopher Janney

======================

http://www.soarspine.com/gerald.htm

Gerald P. Keane, M.D.

Dr. Gerald Paul Keane is a board certified physiatrist. He graduated from University of Rhode Island. Dr. Keane received his medical education from Brown University Medical School and completed his residency at Stanford University Medical Center.

Dr. Keane serves as team physician for Stanford University Athletics and is a consultant team physician for the San Francisco Forty-Niners. Dr. Keane is an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Functional Restoration at Stanford University School of Medicine. He concentrates his care in spine related disorders.

Since 1992 Dr. Keane has served as a team physician and now clinical physician and consultant at the University of California, Berkeley. Previously he has acted as a team physician for the U.S. Figure Skating Association.

Dr. Keane has lectured nationally and published extensively on physical medicine and rehabilitation.
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

Dustin is also followed by a Physiatrist. His dr is wonderful and does not have the ego problem you describe. He is quick and cooperative when making referrals to drs in the specialty areas Dustin needs. We learned of him through the hospital when Dustin had his tramatic accident. Although he was the first to say Brachial Plexus injury to us he knew that when we wanted to see the Mayo team it was best as they specialized in this. He has been wonderful.
Sue
Fredrick

Post by Fredrick »

I responded to one of your questions, about a year ago, about feeling suicidal. So how are you doing these days? For myself, I am above sod. This summer I will be under going a muscle/tendon transfer. Until then I don't see my physical therapist that often. I'll write more later. Take care, Fred