Ella is complaining of pain....I don't know why!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Ella is complaining of pain....I don't know why!

Post by admin »

Last week in school her teacher told me that she would complain of her "bad" arm hurting her. She did this a few days in a row. At home she will say it every now and then. Today, the school nurse called me b/c she had Ella up in her office complaining of pain in her arm again. When she tells me it hurts she points to her upper arm area and shoulder area. Sort of in the back of her shoulder I think. I don't know what is causing the pain. She did not fall on her arm or anything like that. She is due for an MRI and we are in the process of scheduling that which will be coming up. Should I be very concerned about this? Also, she has been out of formal PT since school started in Sept. I have been doing the same kind of exercises with her. I do not notice anything different. I am just so afraid for her that this pain is supposed to be there and now that she is getting older she notices it. She is 5 now. What do you think and what would you do? Any advice would be great...I am freaking out about this! Thanks!
~Krista~ Connecticut
njbirk

Re: Ella is complaining of pain....I don't know why!

Post by njbirk »

It's good that you have an MRI scheduled to check it out, but until then, maybe you can get her to vocalize about when it hurts so you have more info for the doctor. At 5, she should be able to tell you about it hopefully.

Does it hurt all the time, or only when she moves?
Is it a throbbing pain or a sharp pain?
Does heat or ice help?

I get pain in that area now and then when I have overused the arm, trying to lift something I shouldn't, but that is me, and I have learned now what not to do to avoid the pain.

Hope it is just that -- she's used a muscle she is not used to using.

Nancy
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Maybe she is coming down with something. I know that is Brandon's barometer when he is getting sick. The same thing he complains it hurts and then low and behold....we are at the doctor with an infection. I know this happens all the time to him. He is eight now and the doctor knows that when he complains there is something else going on. The doctor kinda chuckles but sure enough....there is an infection somewhere else ! GAYLE
LisaL

Post by LisaL »

Is she going through a growth spurt? I was told that 5 years old is a huge growth spurt and at this time they may complain of pain and also lose a little function. My daughter turned 5 in November and she is complaining of growing pains now in her legs and her arm is not as flexible now as it was before she started shooting up.

Lisa
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

maybe it's a growth spurt, or possibly the weather??
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

How is Ella doing?
We have had a sudden change in the weather here in the Metropolitan area of NY...
I know you are not far away and this change has every thing hurting.
I am much older but the pain is all on the right side.
I even had pain in my right hand for the first time in years.

I think it's because of the sudden change from such warm weather, over the weekend, to such cold weather today.

How is Ella doing?
Did you try some warm compresses or Mineral Ice.
I love Mineral Ice because it seems to distract from what ever is bothering me and I feel comfortable once it warms up.

Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Krista, Did you call Dr.Waters office to see if they could give you some advice? I hope she is feeling better. Let us know how she is doing.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I will do the warm compress tonight and try to massage her gently.

Melissa, Dr Waters wants to see her asap and even before the MRI which is set for Feb 21st. So tomorrow morning I will try to get an appt for beginning of Feb or even end of this month. Before this issue he wanted to see her after the results of the MRI were in.

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that this is nothing serious. When I get an answer I will let you all know what happened. Thanks again for all the help.

~Krista~ Connecticut
Miss Elizabeth

Post by Miss Elizabeth »

I'm 12 and my arm hurts a lot in my back/shoulder, somewhere near there and it hurts a lot. It does that every so often. What I do is therapy and my therapist massages it and it feels better. Next time it hurts try massaging where it hurts. She might feel better.
Bye, Miss Elizabeth
MHBF

Post by MHBF »

MY SON IS SIX AND JUST A FEW WEEKS AGO HE WAS COMPLAINING OF THE SAME PROBLEM AND PLACE.I JUST THOUGHT HE WAS TRYING TO STAY HOME FROM SCHOOL ,SO I SENT HIM ANYWAY.HE WAS STILL COMPLAINING OFF AND ON FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS. THEN I GOT THE SAME PHONE CALL AS U DID FROM THE SCHOOL NURSE. I FREAKED OUT BECAUSE I KNEW HE WAS REALLY IN PAIN. I LIVE IN TN AND HIS DR. IS IN TEXAS,SO I CALLED HIM RIGHT AWAY.HE HAD ME TAKE HIM TO THE ER THAT DAY AND HAVE THE ER DR CALL HIM,TO GET TO THE POINT HE WANTED X-RAYS OF THE BONES. DR.NATH SAYS THAT OUR KIDS CAN BREAK A BONE REALLY EASY DUE TO THERE BPI HOWEVER MIKEY DID NOT BREAK ANY BONES.HE HAD JUST OVER WORKED HIS MUSCLES AND THAT'S WHAT WAS CAUSING HIM THE PAIN A FEW DAYS OF REST AND HE'S GOOD TO GO AGAIN. THANKS KATHY