Please - some school help needed (keeping book in place?)

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Please - some school help needed (keeping book in place?)

Post by hope16_05 »

A question for you is, is the school making her hold her paper a certain way? I write left handed due to ROBPI but I hold my paper like a right handed person would. That gives me to most control of my paper. When I was in 5th grade they tried to make me hold my paper like a left handed person would and it was horrible, it was like learning to write all over again. I still cant hold my paper the way a left handed person would.

The dycem and the clip board are a good combo but that seemed too different for me so i often just grabbed two pieces of tape and taped my paper down, the teachers all knew and never had any problem wiht the tape on the paper.
Actually in one of my classes, I got to be like every one else, we were all required to tape our drawings down.
Tape works very well and noe one really notices since its clear.

Good luck!
Amy 19 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
AMDOLBEAR

Post by AMDOLBEAR »

HI CAREYS MOM. I KNOW YOU ASKED THIS QUESTION A WHILE AGO BUT I HAD AN IDEA. I HAVE A TRAUMA INJURY B.P. ANYWAY, THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED DYCEM. PHYS. THERAPY USES IT A LOT. IT IS THE MOST WONDERFUL THING. IT LOOKS LIKE REALLY BLUE WAXPAPER EXCEPT THICKER. IT HAS A TEXTURE LIKE WARM WAX BUT IT HAS BEEN SO GREAT. I WOULD HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT. THE MOST DIFFICULT IS IF THE PAGES ARE NOT BIG LARGER PAPERS ARE EASIER. AT WORK I HAVE TO FILL OUT A LOT OF LITTLE TINY SLIPS. THIS IS WHERE THE DYCEM COMES IN. I PUT IT ON MY DESK AND THE PAPER DOES NOT MOVE! THERE ARE OTHER USES AS WELL. I HAVE IT IN MY KITCHEN FOR WHEN I AM BAKING TO KEEP THE BATTER FROM SPINNING WHEN STIRRING A BATTER. THERE ARE A LOT MORE RANDOM USES FOR IT. IT GREAT B/C IT DOESN'T WEAR OUT. WHEN IT GETS DIRTY YOU JUST WASH IT OFF IN THE SINK AND IT IS JUST LIKE NEW. I PROMISE I DON'T HAVE STOCK IN THE COMPANY. I SOUND LIKE AN INFOMERCIAL :) ANYWAY ITS GREAT
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

We've used the dycem and that works great. Tape sounds like a good idea too. Another suggestion might be HandiTak ( http://superglue.supergluecorp.com/15123.html ). Nicole can secure a book or piece of paper pretty well, but last week she had to trace some shapes she'd cut out from a cardboard box (we used a cereal box) and it was hard for her to keep the cardboard still while tracing it. I stuck a small piece of handitak on the back and it stuck to the paper great. It's definitely not obtrusive and is very easy to use. Since she'd stick it under the paper, it wouldn't even be noticeable. It's also very easy to remove afterward and it's re-usable. You could also let her play with it b/c it makes good hand therapy too!!

~Tina, mom to Nicole (7 1/2 y.o. w/LOBPI) & Joshua (2 1/2 y.o. w/NOBPI)