JAS system?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

JAS system?

Post by hope16_05 »

Has any one heard of this being used for elbow contractures? It looks really cool any a little nicer than sleeping with a splint.

http://www.jointactivesystems.com/index.html

Just wondering if any one has heard of this because I am frustrated with my static splint, I am no longer making any gains toward zero. I am stuck and still crooked ;) and looking for new options.
Thanks,
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
LoriV

Re: JAS system?

Post by LoriV »

Amy,

I don't know anything about this particular system, but it looks similar in concept to the Dynasplint we used on Ryan, but more comlex.

Honestly, the only thing that has gotten Ryan to zero was serial casting. They wanted us to have him wear it 24/7 with only removing for therapy and bathing, but I didn't agree to that. We only did it at night and sometimes I left it on throughout the morning. It think the reason it worked so well for him was that it was custom fit to his arm (all the way around the arm, too).

Good luck!

Lori
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Amy, I have been looking at this splint for absolute years but Maia was too young and the weight of the splint was too heavy for a little one. At your age, however, it might be a viable splint. Amy, read KateP's post under Biceps post recently, she gives as good explanation of why biceps go into contracture. I also had another therapist explain it to me the other day and she told me that once there is a true contracture, meaning that the muscle is "fibrotic", the only thing you can do to it is lengthen it through surgery. So you use a splint to get through regular tightness but it won't work anymore once it gets to the fibrotic tissue. So in essence, it might keep your arm from getting worse because it's stretching it to the point where it can't be stretched any more.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How can you tell if a muscle is at the point of being fibrotic? Interesting.
~Krista~
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Well I would think (and it's all conjecture of course) that no amount of stretching will get past that particular point, no botox and serial casting will allow you to get past that particular point, and no dynamic splinting will allow you to get past that particular point.
katep

Post by katep »

I think therapists describe it as the joint having "a hard endpoint". We hear that a lot in terms of Tom's knee nowadays.

Kate
tomp

Post by tomp »

Yes and I've seen it used. Sort of like a modern medevil torcher device.

You strap yourself in and stay in it for a prolong period of time (30 min). Every 5 minutes, you crank the lever. It's a slow steady stretch.

They're pretty expensive, so I hope you can get insurance to pay for it. Otherwise, you might try eBay. My wife found me a cheaper alternative for my knee involving a board and straps, but that's easier to stretch than an elbow.
Kwest

Post by Kwest »

My daughter used it for six months and it was awful. A. It IS a torture device and terrible for a little one. B.It is all metal, so you had to duck every time she moved :-) (It does look like they've changed the design a bit.) But my daughter has a mild contracture, it did nothing to help her, it really is for a more moderate to severe contracture. I would advise seeing if you can "try" one before you commit to this very costly and awkward brace. They do rent them but it is very steep.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

thanks all for the replies! I just saw it in a hand theraoy magazine and thought it looked cool and like it could have potential, but with a nickname of a torture device, I am not sure its for me. I have an appointment with my OT next weekend and will see if she thinks we can just adjust my static splint.

Someone mentioned a muscle getting fibrous, I learned in my anatomy class that this happens from lack of use and eventually the muscle will start to "harden" it loses its elasticity and becomes fibrous. When a muscle loses its elasticity you lose the ability to stretch it. Eventually, this can cause the fused position that we see in untreated contractures.

I hope that made enough sense, Its late and I am tired of studying for finals.

Thanks again,
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

I took Maia to the orthotist to get her new shoe insert (she has a shorter leg on the bpi side) and I asked him about the JAS splint and he visibly shuddered and rolled his eyes... What a reaction!