"Sweetheart"

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: "Sweetheart"

Post by admin »

guest, you may need to read bpi parents post and then you will see why the issues have arisen within the school community and how that is connected to bpi.

BPI mom, you may be out of a job, but you can hold your head up. You are a great example for your bpi child :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

what do you want me to read? can't you just tell me how it's connected? I don't understand. My daughter has a bpi. How should that be affecting my job?
kamren

Post by kamren »

This kind of thing happens in small communities. We just moved from one in TX. Our town had approx 1600 people. I would consider a consult with a attorny in a larger neighboring town. It can't hurt, and you would know your rights.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

"BPIMOM",
YES You can hold your head high!! You have done a great job advocating on behalf of your daughter and MOST-TIMES it DOES take Aggressiveness and Persistance to do our Parent Advocacy we MUST do to get our childrn's needs addressed and met. I am sorry to say there sometimes are trade-offs.

I hope you do consult an attorney in a larger neighboring community to support your RIGHTS. Also consider applying for jobs in nearby communities if you must. I do hope you are able to keep your present job too. Hang in there. We are here to support you so please keep us informed.

Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI & MOM to a beautiful adult & "Challenged" son(NON-BPI related) :)

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If they knew that you were aggressive and didn't like your behavior or attitude why did they hire you in the first place? And if you had to fight so hard for your daughter there and met up with many brick walls, why would you want to work for them?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey, if we all avoided areas in life where we meet discrimination on the grounds of disability or sex, then the bigots would get away with it. I take my hat off to you, bpi mom, if there were more like you around we wouldn't meet these attitudes as often as we do.
Marydroz

Post by Marydroz »

I'm a little confused here. I don't think it was very nice of her to call you "sweetheart" - but I'm guessing it was more in sarcasm than a form of sexual harrassment. There's a lot here that I don't see - if you're doing a good job what is there to be angry with you for? Because your child has an injury? I guess I don't really get the connection either, but I hope things are working out better for you now.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Marydroz,
Some School Districts put up every "Brick Wall" that they can in front of Strong Parent Advocates who know the Laws regarding Education for special need children from age 3-21, [IT IS Federally mandated], because of the Budget and Personnel OT/PT & Speech Therapists they have to have when they enroll our children. That's why I say Parents have a LIFETIME job of Advocacy, with School,Medical and Insurance Systems.

AND, also whyI always say, MOMS TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES, you cannot give & do when you are worn out & frazzled....fyi, I learned that late in my life, please don't do it to yourselves.

I'll get off of my soapbox now!!

HUGS all around,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI & Mom of Beautiful Scott,35(non-BPI related needs)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I haven't looked here in a while, but now I see I owe great thanks to many of you for being so supportive. The matters of my job have not completely resolved themselves, but do see that my example has caused more professionalism and courtesy between colleagues, and I am happy for that...

Carolyn J seems particularly astutue. Do you guys remember the scene in the movie "Terms of Endearment" when the mother figure, normally perfectly presentable, was running done the hospital corrodors demanding attention for her daughter. My life has been like that. Before I gave birth to my BPI child, I was the epitome of calm in my community and my job. But then that injury struck to find such ignorance and such obstacles, and I dropped my barriers and worked very hard to advocate for my child. In my local community no other child has a BPI, but I have become very close friends through this process with parents of child injured, by genetics or accident. In the very slow process of our relationship building, I have learned that they all have become people that they don't recongize in their advovacy for their children.

One of my best friends summarized the other morning. She was talking to her husband, and she said to him: "I don't want these people to hate me, but I see that I need to await my friendship while I advocate for my child"

Sincerely,

Sweetheart
Marydroz

Post by Marydroz »

Were you being sarcastic or serious when you signed that post "sweetheart"?
I thought you didn't like that name? Maybe you send mixed messages to people and some of your interpersonal problems arise from that.
I seriously am confused by your posts. I think I get that you want to be an advocate for your child, and that's admirable, but it's all mixed up with anger and accusations. I don't know if support boards like this exist to just support people no matter what - or is that actually enabling people who might need a little honesty in their lives?
In any case, I do want to be helpful, not mean, and I know that the typed word doesn't always convey a clear message. But I am a little puzzled about your exact predicament. But good luck with your child. I hope you don't have to await your friendships too long.