Tendon Lengthening

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
admin
Site Admin

Tendon Lengthening

Post by admin »

Anyone have this done? is it true the contractures come back? my 13yr might have this done with Dr Nath I would like to know the outcome and if it works in the long run
Allison

Re: Tendon Lengthening

Post by Allison »

Hi Mare,
My son had this surgery done when he was almost four. We are very pleased with the results. His arm is straight, he no longer holds it bent with his elbow out to the side. His bicep strength has come back with no signs of a returning contracture, we are one year post op. This incision is very tiny in the crease of his arm. He wore a cast for 9 weeks. This surgery really helped Bradley achieve a more normal appearance. Prior to the surgery his bicep felt like a hard balled up muscle. Even with all the MFR, splinting, and passive stretching, nothing helped. Just the other day he was able to put both hands behind his back and clasp them. We are still seeing function returning, he'll be five in February.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Allison thanks for responding I'm so happy the surgery was a success for your son. We to tried splints PT parafin wax dips you name it but still it slowly contracted did your son have any other surgery's Frankie had the nerve graft at TCH and the wrist and hand surgery he could move his fingers till the cast came off then everything stopped moving he can only bend his arm at the elbow no lifting his arm up or hand movement so I think Dr Nath is going to suggest other surgeries he felt there was more he could do Thanks for the reply Mare
clover80

Post by clover80 »

I had it done exactly 7 weeks ago.. only 3 more weeks in a cast!My arm is definitely straighter, but it's been a slow process. Each week my OT stretches my arm then re-casts it. Right now it's actively at -19 degrees. Prior to surgery is was somewhere around -35. I still have a ways to go- regain strength in my bicep and more importantly strengthen my tricep. I'm 26 years old and have to remind myself that I can't expect immediate results for an injury I've had my entire life.

I'd say the sooner your teen has surgery -the better. Dr. Nath told me that over time the contracture will actually get worse if not corrected.

Staci -SLC
ROBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Clover80 How many times a week do you see the OT? How often will you see a PT or OT after the cast comes off? Will you have to wear a splint during the day/night if so how long? Did you have hand or wrist surgery? Sorry I have so many questions trying to understand what has to be done after surgery Its been so long since we were down this road its seems like a blurr Thanks so much and my prayers are with you for a full recovery Mare
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Mare,

I go to my OT once a week to get a new cast. Dr. Nath had originally said I'd get a new cast 2 or 3 times a week, but my therapist thinks once a week is plenty. After the 10 weeks of wearing a cast full time, I believe I'll still have to wear some sort of splint at night. I'm not sure for how long.

I imagine I'll do therapy twice a week. That's what I did after the Mod Quad surgery back in January.

I haven't had hand or wrist surgeries. Luckily I've always had full use of my hand.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can email me at smckay317@hotmail.com We could even chat on the phone if that's easier.

Best wishes,

Staci -26
ROBPI
SLC