Scholarships?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Scholarships?

Post by admin »

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if there was a scholarship fund for kids with brachial plexus injury? I'm currently in the 12th grade and I'm enrolling into some schools where the tuition is high but the education was great so I just wanted to know if there would be any funding for this? Thanks
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Scholarships?

Post by marieke »

Specifically for BPI no, but for disabilities in general there usually are. Someone had started a thread for this ages ago, do a search and see if you can find it...
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

Dustin received some money from the division of vocational rehab. They give it depending on your disability level. Due to his BPI and other injuries he was a level one. Don't know if the BPI alone is enough, but check.
Sue

Message was edited by: ptrefam
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I found a link for educational funding from US gov.

I know Nancy and some of the adults have received government aid to cover their college educations.

http://www.ed.gov/searchResults.jhtml?c ... 67314&cl=1

Here is another site to help with the information you are looking for.

http://www.washington.edu/doit/Brochure ... l-aid.html

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

There are also local grants and scholarships you can apply for.

Kath ( adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Kristen,
Good Sites from Kath.

Also, the Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation,[some States it is "Bureau" of Vocational Rehabilitation] is Federal funded for training,education and "some" employment assistence.Look under "GOVERMENT", then State Offices in your state. Each State administers Funds and Services differently.

Welcome Kristen!

Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI,68, WA (State)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Kristen
Check with the college, they might have one for disability. I got one last year for $400, not much when the tuition is high but every little bit helps! I just applied for it again this semester only this year its $500.

Pick the school you think you will get the best education at and you can always pay on student loans. I know I will be! But my college has a great reputation and the classes are small.

Email me if you would like to chat hope16_05@hotmail.com
I am 19 and a sophmore in college studying to become an occupational therapist.

Amy age 19 ROBPI from MN

I forget to wish yougood luck with your senior year and also on getting accepted to your first choice college! Dont forget to have some fun!

Message was edited by: hope16_05
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Marydroz

Post by Marydroz »

I thought I saw a post that said another Brachial plexus foundation is starting a scholarship fund. I will try to find the name and post it later, if I can find it. I think they are fund-raising to make that a possibility. Because all our kids could someday benefit from this I think it's a great idea. I hope there is no reason why one non-profit wouldn't support another if it's in the interest of our kids.
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

I think you are thinking of this site located in PA:

http://www.brachialplexuspalsyfoundatio ... ation.html

As they say on their website:

In addition to our General & Event Fund, and the Research Fund, we now have an "Educational Scholarship Fund" which will be used to gift graduating high school students with bpi on their quest for continued education - college, technical school or another vocational programs.

I am not sure it is an established fund as of yet, or that it has paid for any scholarships currently, but it is a great idea and hopefully it will make a difference for some BPI kids in their pursuit of secondary education!

Support of the BPI community is always encouraged, there are many options! If not for the generosity of the community, the Outreach, UBPN camp and our other programs :Prevention, Wings, In-Touch, Open Arms Within reach etc. would not be possible, It is difficult to decide where to put your charitable donations, but we appreciate your generosity

Thank you to everyone who supports the community

richinma
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi everyone, thanks for the info, all of it was very helpful. Yesterday I just applied to the University of Miami using the Early Decision option. Since I was young I've always had a thing for the Miami Hurricanes and with the recent outbreak at the game I know our reputation has been somewhat tarnished but I plan to study in the Communications field to be a sideline Football reporter so in a few years you will see me on ESPN :]
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Good luck and have fun Kristen! Sounds like a fun career.
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN