Gifted and Talented Child

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Gifted and Talented Child

Post by Carolyn J »

Claudia,
Your son is GREAT with his black humor stuff. He'll be ready, match & TOP us Adults with OBPI's anytime at Camp 2007 which I hope you guys can come west for next year.

HUGS to everyone,Camp 2007 or Bust!,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
angelsmom

Post by angelsmom »

I liked your thoughts and what ever you all are comfortable calling her arm is great, we call our daughters her BP arm but she calls it her naughty arm cause it won't do what she wants :) ( no talking her out of calling it take either...lol)
Marydroz

Post by Marydroz »

But seriously, I thought your original post said your kid didn't know her arm was weird. Now you say she calls it weird.
I'm a little confused.
I guess I'm just uncomfortable with that kind of labeling. But then again, some people were offended that I called my child's arm righty.
Hmmm. Go figure. "Weird" is ok, "righty" is not....
Jake'smom

Post by Jake'smom »

Speaking of being offended...am I the only one who thinks "Black Humor" is little off color (no pun intended)? I've always refered to it as a morbid sense of humor or something else I can't quite recall the expression now, but "black" I"ve never heard.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe it's just me being naive, but I have heard the term black humor many times before and it has never been used (that I thought) in a racially derogative way. I think it's more meaning dark, as in like the color black is dark. And morbid humor, to me, is something a little different than dark humor.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Excuse me for being an 'ole lady fuddy duddy, BUT aren't we getting off the subject of "Gifted & Talented Child"??
HUGS to everyone & Camp 2007 or Bust!,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
age 68 & proud of it!

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Laura Barnes

Post by Laura Barnes »

Carolyn,

I have to agree with you. The title of this subject was gifted and talented child, not "lets argue about everything". Everyone is different, all different colors, races, up bringing, opinions, thoughts, EVERYONE is different. I came to this site to get info and to have support by knowing I was not the only mother of child who had BPI. The original post for this topic was, the thoughts of the person who posted them, and it was her way of sharing them, and that way is all her own. Anyone who makes a post or comment is asking for help, or support, or letting other know what is going on, or is sending support, or helpful info, or just a hug to people out there (using this site).

I know I have made this long but, can't we all see everyone is different with the exception of what brought us to this site - we know, or have, or know someone who knows someone with a BPI injury.

HUGSSS and BEST WISHES TO ALL. PLEASE NO MORE FIGHTING

LAURA
MOTHER OF ALYSSA
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It is much more than off topic, it is totally insensitive to my original post: the fact that my BPI has achieved so much. Not one single poster, except for the first "Guest" poster, even acknowledged my child! Shame on you.
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

"Original MOM...",
You ARE absolutely right! I sincerely apologize to you and your daughter. She has done something really amazing and I am very proud of her accomplishment.I know I get carried away alot when I post, please forgive me

Please HUG her for me.

Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Age 68 & proud of it!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI