jeans

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
barb4alex

jeans

Post by barb4alex »

hi i just wanted to say thanks for all the information everyone shares. over 2 years ago i read about a mom that had used velcro behind buttons so that her child could wear shirts that looked like all the other kids well my grandaughter Alex started 1st grade this year and is going to school all day we were worried because she has such limited use of her right hand and arm that it is extremely difficult for her to button her jeans i remembered the posting about the shirts and applied it to her jeans i removed the button and sewed it on the front of her jeans (where the buttonhole was origanally) i then sewed velco to each side of her jeans so that she just has to pull them together no one can tell that they are not buttoned this way Alex does not have to ask for help when she goes to the bathroom She told me this was cool so thanks again for your ideas and the information that you share barb
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: jeans

Post by marieke »

That is fantastic! Good to hear that she has that freedom and independence!
Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

What a great idea. I love velcro. I use it on the back of puzzles that have handles on it (like pegboards) for play therapy for Amber for a little extra resistance. It's great for resistance with play therapy in so many ways, but in this instance, it is helpful for functionality. Thanks for sharing.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, almost 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
angelsmom

Post by angelsmom »

Great idea ,...Thanks for the info :)
Josh'smom

Post by Josh'smom »

This is a great idea. My son Josh is now in 4th grade and still has difficulty with jeans. (for that reaosn he won't wear them)Last year he asked to wear a pair and then had to ask his friend to button them for him because he just couldn't do it. Obviously he hasn't asked to wear them again. I think the velcro will help him feel more comfortable about wearing them. GREAT IDEA THANKS!!!!