Need Help with the Legal MUMBO JUMBO!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BarbH

Need Help with the Legal MUMBO JUMBO!

Post by BarbH »

We had our depositions in June. Mine took 3 1/2 hours and my husbands took 1 hour. GEESH!!

Now my question is, I just spoke to my laywer and he told us that the next step is to wait for some sort of court hearing, and if there is no settlement at that time we will await a trial date.

Now isn't that the same thing?? I mean, what's the difference?
Thanks In advance! It's truely appreciated!
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Re: Need Help with the Legal MUMBO JUMBO!

Post by Tanya in NY »

I'm guessing the best thing to do is to ask your lawyer to clarify. Afterall, you're paying him to do just that right? Good luck with this whole process as I'm sure it must be extremely frustrating and exhausting in so many respects.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, almost 4 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
BarbH

Post by BarbH »

Yes I guess your right Tanya!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Hi Barb.
Please keep us posted on every step of your "Process"(I say, ORDEAL!)
HUGS & Good Luck,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

I think the difference is that a hearing is with a judge or mediator. A trial is with a jury.
Good Luck with it all!!
Sue
claudia

Post by claudia »

Barb:
most states have a method of trying to settle the claims out of court and have a mediation step in the case.

If a setttlement is not reached at that time, then you make a trial date. That doesn't mean that you won't still settle, many people end up settling as the jury is being picked. Sometimes this is a game of chicken.

good luck,
claudia
BarbH

Post by BarbH »

Thanks so much ladies! I really appreiciate your time!
I will keep you all updated. :)
I am awaiting the arrival of the 3 doctors depos at this point. Im intrested to see what they had to say.

Thanks again!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Barb,
Remember, please let us know RE Depos too.
HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI