Video story of recovery of LOPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
johnstrike

Video story of recovery of LOPI

Post by johnstrike »

I made a video story of the first year of my daughter Femke.

She is LOPI with C5 en C6 affected. She only showed first signs of recovery after three months. Since then she keeps progressing.

I posted this video at yotube.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqxsAbP-XNU

I posted this video to show that late recovery can also mean a rather good recovery. Before she showed recovery I had the feeling that the doctors should operate just because then I would have the feeling that something was done about her injury. I'm sure other parents recognize this feeling.

After one year, you can see it was wise to wait and see. Although I'm do not want to suggest that this is the right policy for every injury.

I hope this video will give some hope for parents that are in a comparable situation.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Video story of recovery of LOPI

Post by admin »

Femke is so cute! That's great that has recovered so well. My child also had C5 and C6 injury.

I was wondering if Femke had a praxis injury, or neuromas? Did you know how bad the nerve damage was at the time you decided to wait on the surgery. I am wondering if her injury on the nerves was slight or more severe.
Mandie

Post by Mandie »

That video was adorable. It made me cry, remembering how it was with Sarah. Such great progress! Congrats and keep up the good work! Sarah is 4 1/2 now and still doing great. We still go to PT once and a while to learn new stretches.

Never give up! Great Job!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

she is beautiful. how I wish I saw this video 4 yrs ago. thank you
John Rafter

Post by John Rafter »

-

Message was edited by: John Rafter
johnstrike

Post by johnstrike »

It were the doctors that advised to wait with surgery. We have a lot of confidence in the doctors so we followed their advise. Although at that time I sometimes went mad with just waiting and not acting.

She had a breach delivery, and our doctor said he always waits a little bit longer because recovery tends to start later with those kids. Would she had a normal delivery she probably would have been operated. In that case they would have seen in the O.K. that recovery allready had started and they would not repair the nerves.

I don't know what kind of nerve damage Femke has. I guess you can only know if you operate her and the doctor can see the damage. Seeing her recovery it's my conclusion that her nerve damage is more slight than severe.

I don't want to be misunderstood. This video is not a kind of statement against nerve chirugery. It is just an example that wait and see is sometimes a good policy. I hope it gives some confidence for parents that are now in the wait and see period.

John
Amy

Post by Amy »

Your daughter is adorable!
I'm so glad everything is working out for your family.
It gives me hope to see this, Abbie's arm looked just like that in the begining.
Thank you for sharing that video!

Amy
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

John,
What an Uplifting Video!!
It sure made my day.
It is Courageous and wonderful to share with all of us UBPN Family.
Thank you!

HUGS to you and your beautiful daughter,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI,age 68 & proud of it!
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
katep

Post by katep »

John,

What a wonderful video and such a great idea to show it. BOD - is there any way to house such "recovery" videos on UBPN?

The hardest thing about this injury is the "wait and see" and it is so hard for parents - especially new, traumatized parents - to understand why the doctor isn't DOING something! But this is why... without operating, the only real way to tell how severe an injury is, is to watch and see how it recovers. And that recovery happens painfully slow for the desperate parent watching and waiting. Information comes with time as key recovery milestones are passed... or missed.

For us, recovery was like a downhill slide. It starts out bad - lack of function and paralysis - and the longer it stays bad, the worse the prognosis. Not until we started to see recovery did things "turn around" and even then it happened so slowly! I would have loved to have seen a video like this; it might have helped me be more patient :)

Kate
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I want to emphasize though that for *many* children waiting a year is not the right option. The original poster made that point well. According to our doctor , if we had waited a year and not done surgery our child would have been much worse off. I rejoice for those children who recover but want to caution new parents that this does *not* occur in every case. Please be careful at thinking one child's miracle will happen for your child. That is all I am saying. Not that you can't wait and see, but that you know every child does not recover. I am very happy this particular little girl recovered.