Help...in spanish!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Stephanie/OR

Help...in spanish!

Post by Stephanie/OR »

Hello everyone,
My husband and I have spent a great deal of time trying to educate our son's pediatrician on BPI issues and it looks like he is spreading the word. Now, here is the problem. He put us in touch with another patient's family who also has a child with a profound BPI. However, the dad is a spanish speaking single-parent and has another, younger child as well. Language and cultural barriers are an issue. Thanks to Dr. Miller (our converted pediatrician) this young boy is scheduled at TCH for surgery in early May. We are meeting with this father on Friday to try and help prepare him for what he can expect. We are bringing pictures of our son and the SOL solint and I am planning to print out Francine's helpful pages rearding TCH visits. My husband speaks some spanish but, certainly not enough to translate every thing they will need to know prior to making there trek to Houston. Any suggestions??? Is there someone special at TCH that I should put them in touch with? Thanks so much for the input!
Stephanie
kelli_

Re: Help...in spanish!

Post by kelli_ »

Here is a link to a brochure you can print in Spanish. TCH I know has brochures in Spanish they can mail out. The family needs to request an interpreter through Lisa Davis so that one can be on hand at clinic and surgery visits to translate everything.
Kelli
http://www.injurednewborn.com/inbrochspanish.pdf
francine

Post by francine »

Hi! The new parent guide is also in Spanish now - thanks to Ivelisse! That's found in awareness

http://ubpn.org/awareness/A2001SPAN ... guide.html

(the injurednewborn brochure is a prevention brochure and isn't the right info for this family)

Also - do they have internet access? because there are at least two moms who frequent the message boards who are fluent in spanish that I know of. Both have a LOT of experience with bpi so it would be a great source of support and would be able to help them navigate what they need to do in advance...

I wish them the best,
francine
karen r

Post by karen r »

I think I'm one of the "fluent Spanish" mom's that Francine was talking about!

I'd be happy to correspond via e-mail with this family to answer questions prior to surgery. The advice about arranging an interpreter through Lisa Davis is very good. Also, Ivelisse is a native speaker whose daughter has undergone several surgeries. She'd be a terrific telephone contact for your Hispanic family if you can arrange a "meeting" between them.
Karen
ohioerbspalsy@aol.com
Jocelisse's Parents

Post by Jocelisse's Parents »

Hi Stephanie
I will be happy to help them. They could email me ivelissemor@msn.com or call me 281 861 9313. I will be able to help them on all their needs. I live in Houston and I'm spanish speaker too.
Ivelisse
Stephanie/OR

Post by Stephanie/OR »

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to thank all of you who responded to my request for spanish speaking BPI help. This father does not have internet access, but I was able to print out some information for them thanks to you all. I believe Marcos (3y/o) is scheduled for surgery at TCH on May 20th. Thank you for your help.
Stephanie