Starting Head Start

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Starting Head Start

Post by Tanya in NY »

Just had the teacher come to our home today for the interview for Head Start for Amber today. Boo Hoo...she's already getting ready for school. The universal pre-K program in our district is only 1/2 day program and that wouldn't work out for our child care with our work schedule, so we couldn't do that, but we qualified Amber for Head Start because of her Erb's Palsy (Head Start is a program that qualifies you based on income or need, so the Erb's Palsy superceded the income for us). So, she can attend a full-day session a few days per week which works with our work schedule better.

I made a pamphlet called "An Introduction to Amber" with Amber's picture, her favorite things like color, food, drink, and also information about Erb's Palsy. I also included tips on what she has difficulty with, how she needs to use a rolling backpack, and so on. I gave it to the teacher and aide today to keep in her folder and explained about it. They said they had never heard about it before. Interesting enough, the teacher is pregnant and due this October. On the back of the pamphlet I made, I had a few "facts" that I listed as well. A little education for my daughter's benefit and a little education for everyone else's benefit. They really seemed to appreciate the pamphlet about Amber.
I can't believe that she's going to Head Start and Casey is going into 6th grade already! Ugh! I'm feeling a crisis coming on.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 3 1/2 years old
Casey's Mom, 11 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
Mandie

Re: Starting Head Start

Post by Mandie »

I know how you feel!

Sarah is going to start headstart on Monday! She has been in daycare for the past 2 monthes. She really adjusted well to being around other kids and the school routine. She made lots of friends. Today was her last day of daycare so we took lots of pictures.

They grow so fast! Best of luck!
claudia

Post by claudia »

Tanya:
I have a "q and a" sheet that I give to new teachers, camp counselors, etc that come in contact with Juliana. It is in one of the Outreach magazines. I find it helps them so much because they really don't know about this injury and they really want to do things correctly.

I met with the principal of Juliana's new building...she is second grade (?) now. How did that happen??? As for 6th grade..I'm with you. My twins are headed into 6th grade this year, and my oldest is in 8th. I swear that yesterday they were playing on the swingset...

Although I do have to say, as we took Juliana to California on vacation this past week, how easy it was to travel with her. No stroller, car seat, diapers... just snacks and few games to play. She entertained herself mostly (thank you Leapster) and watched the movie on the flight. She could go on all the rides at Disney and Universal. Really, a pleasure.

good luck in school this year.

claudia
Katiesmom0514

Post by Katiesmom0514 »

Katie and her two step-brothers,all age 4, will all start their second year of Head Start on Sept. 5th. We were fortunate that the program and school were familiar with Erb's palsy as they had just had a little girl even in the same classroom as Katie about 3 or 4 years ago. They were wonderful with her (and the boys as well) and always commented on how she never let her arm get in her way or slow her down. In fact, she was in the SOL cast when she started having just had surgery about 2 weeks before her first day of Head Start last year. In my experience, Head Start is wonderful program and you will have no regrets sending you child there. She will be in in excellent hands, even with little knowledge of her injury.
It is hard to watch them as they go off to their first day of school, but I think in most cases it's harder on us Mom's than it is on the kids!
Best of Luck to you all and your little ones as they start their new adventure!

Cheri, Mom to Katie, 4 LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Girls
How exciting that the kids are going off to school.
It's great that your teachers are listening to you and learning from you.
With all the information on bpi you gave them the kids will have a great experience.
For those of you who are feeling old.....
Guess how I feel????
My oldest will be 40 Sept.9.............
Where did all the time go?
It went by in a blink of the eye... so enjoy these days!

My two 5 year old granddaughter are starting Kindergarten.
My oldest grandchild is going into 7th Grade...
YIKES!
Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Ginne

Post by Ginne »

Kath,

You make me laugh (in a good way)- you're not old!! You're still young!

My mother-in-law has a real age gap between her grand kids, but Missy keeps her feeling young. (4 grandkids:her oldest granddaughter is 22 and Missy - the youngest - is 3!)

As my mom says, she'll start feeling old when she can't chase the girls around anymore (5 grand daughters ages 12, 11, 9, 7, & 3).

Me on the other hand...I have enough gray hair that I look older than I really am. LOL

Ginne
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Tanya and All,
Enjoy every moment! It goes sooo fast. Reading your posts brings back alot of good memories when my Angel Scott was starting his school Journey.
HUGS to all,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
GAmom

Post by GAmom »

Tanya:

Hi my son too just started HeadStart but the pamphlet is a great idea never even thought of it. Do you have a copy of it. I would love to make one for Brayden's teachers but don't really know where to start. And something else ironic is that Brayden's teacher is also pregnant. I haven't even thought about telling her. I guess with my schedule being so hectic I have got out of the wing of awareness and so forth. I would love to have any more ideas that you may have when it comes to school. I feel that I have been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off lately. Sorry if I sound crazy. I can't believe Brayden is old enough to go to school either. Well better go back to work. all of your help is appreciated.

Ashley, mom to Brayden 3yrs old GA
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Ashley,

I've emailed you (hopefully) with the pamphlet attached to the email. Let me know if it worked (or didn't) okay.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, almost 4 years
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
jamielane

Post by jamielane »

Tanya -
Carson will be starting school this year and I would love to see your pamplet too -
Thanks
Jamie
kjtepdclane@comcast.net