AWHONN Conference BPI Poster

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

AWHONN Conference BPI Poster

Post by Tanya in NY »

Ok everyone. Wish me luck. I fly to Baltimore on Sunday for the AWHONN (Association of Women's Health, Obstetrical and Neonatal Nurses) Conference to present a poster on BPI. The topic is a little bit of prevention and a little bit of treatment while the newborn is in the hospital and long-term. There's not a lot of room on the poster (they limit the size), so I had a lot information to squeeze into a limited amount of space. I hope it is well received. I'm there for 4 days at the conference. I basically am next to my poster at certain times during the day for people to be able to ask me questions to. No formal speaking. I'm very excited. There's also some presentations by other speakers about shoulder dystocia that I am signed up to attend. Hopefully I'll get some good information from the conference.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 3 1/2 years
Also a L&D nurse
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: AWHONN Conference BPI Poster

Post by marieke »

Good Luck!
Marieke (2nd yr nursing student!!!)
Had to add that, LOL.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Post by Brenda333 »

Way to go Tanya! Good luck at the Conference. Let us know how it goes.
Brenda
Brenda
BPI Connection
http://www.freewebs.com/wbpic
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Don't be nervous, you may be surprised at how many people are interested. Remember how little information is out there for medical professionals. Often they are not aware of the high incidence of SD/BPI injuries.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
I am looking forward to hearing how you made out at this Conference.
Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

Good Luck!! Thanks for taking time to spread the awareness for everyone.
Sue
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Good Luck Tanya!!! You will do fine and hopefully be able to prevent an injury or two, or at least get them the knowledge to send them parents in the right direction once it happens. (UNLIKE some of us who were sent in circles ) Gayle mom of Brandon 7 1/2 robpi
Let us know how it goes !!
katep

Post by katep »

Tanya,

I *love* poster sessions! You might "address" less people than if you were giving an oral presentation... but the ones you talk to at your poster are usually much more interested... and AWAKE! :) :)

Good luck! I hope you and your poster make some lasting impressions.

Kate
Jake'smom

Post by Jake'smom »

Thanks for helping to bring about awareness!
Allison-S

Post by Allison-S »

Good Luck Tanya! I know you will do well. Speak from your heart and others will feel the significance of this injury and the need to be informed. I commend you for doing this to raise awareness for our cause.
mynani

Post by mynani »

Good luck to you! You are doing a great thing!

Kimberly