theratogs - how are you using yours?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
natsmom

theratogs - how are you using yours?

Post by natsmom »

If anyone would like to share, just curious how you (or your child) are using your theratogs for BPIs. What movements are you trying to achieve, bad habits trying to break, different strapping applications, etc.?

My daughter (Natalie, 3 ROBPI) has worn these for a few years now. One of the more useful applications that we've found, since shoulder flexion is very weak, is to strap her tummy down so that she doesn't use her whole trunk to achieve shoulder flexion - teaches her to use her arm independently rather than needing to use her entire body to raise her right arm.

Any other interesting uses of theratogs for BPIs?

Becky
admin
Site Admin

Re: theratogs - how are you using yours?

Post by admin »

It'S helped my daughter's lordosis (swayback) and foot that was turned in (bpi side). We had immediate gains in overhead reach and the movement was pure (without compensation or back bending).
slgray

Post by slgray »

Hi,

my daughter Allie is 3 years old and Dr.Nath just referred her to use the theratogs. We have not gotten any of her kit or anything and i was wondering what it is exactly used for and any info you could offer. Allie has a bpi of the right arm. she has had the primary, a surgery to check the nerve graft and remove the scare tissue, mod quad, and the triangle tilt this past November. Our last check-up in May is when he suggested the theratog. She is also in the process of restarting the tes machine. I was wondering how all of that works.
allie's mom

Post by allie's mom »

what is a tereatog? my daughter is only 6 months old, she has had the nerve grafting done, so far her finger movement is back, and a little shoulder movement. but still waiting for elbow.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think that the best way to describe it is that it's like kinesiotaping but you are strapping onto a thin garment versus taping onto the skin. It supports the structure and teaches the muscles how they need to work. It offers the possibility of less compensatory movement so that therapy can be more about strengthening the weakened muscles versus strengthening bad habits and compensatory movement. It helps with a multitude of issues that may occur with any child who has a neurologic injury.
natsmom

Post by natsmom »

I would agree with the guest poster's description. It is like kinesotaping, but stronger and doesn't hurt when you remove them :-). We've used them as I described above to discourage my daughter's habit of using her trunk to achieve shoulder flexion, to help with posture (she has a habit of standing with her tummy sticking out), and also for better shoulder positioning (she has very slight internal rotation).

The theratogs website has also has helpful nformation on uses and what types of injuries they can help.