ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
kimmo

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by kimmo »

Jen NZ You are doing a wonderful job tying this stuff together. I know from experience how difficult it is to get stats on BPI, most emergency admits here in Queensland Australia are listed as MVA or similar description. I am Left Arm A/E amputee. my decision following Car 1 v. Motorcycle O in August 1974. My decision to take arm off in 1976 though knowing it would have no effect in mediating the pain; it was just a bloody nuisance. I can tell people that with all the advances in Medicine in 30 years, Gabapentin, evercise and meditation have been the only real relief I have had from chronic pain in that time. It's a hard row for those with total and I have a friend who also experiences severe facial neuralgia as well.

I married a fine supportive girl at over 40 and now at 50 have two wonderful billy lids 7&57.

I fully agree on a meeting. Has anything further developed. It is certainly long overdue. I would certainly be interseted in assisting with logistics, sponsor opportunities etc from this end. Sydney is good but Gold Coast is far superior, especially in winter. I know a few up here through golf and it pisses off the ones with the arm still that they aren't eligible to play in amputee tournaments. Love your work but haven't the time to read all 35 pages. Regards Kimmo
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi everyone,

Andy here from Brooklyn, New York. 20 some odd years ago I was involved in a motorcycle accident and sustained what they then refered to as a "sever brachial plexus injury." Since then I've had several operations including tendon transfers, nerve graphs and a shoulder fusion. Further, like most of you I'm sure, I live every day in constant pain but grin and bare it because it's what's expected of us. That is of course until the pain killers run out and until the next prescription all understanding goes out the window as we tell our friends and loved ones they have no idea what REAL pain is and perhaps they should place their hand in a blast furnace so as they might have some understanding as to what we go through everyday of our lives. Whoops, sorry, sometimes I need to vent.
giuliano

Post by giuliano »

i'm Giuliano from Italy, i got right bpi cause motorcycle crash
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bump!
wazza

Post by wazza »

Hi, I'm Warren from Melbourne, Australia... Age 33
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Bumping up for newbies-add yourself on here and get included in the next number crunching! Read back a page or so and there's a list of all the nationalities who posted on this thread, together with causes of how they got injured, include yourself if you haven't already, and welcome to all the new posters.
Good to be back :0)
Jen NZ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bumping up for newbies :0)
kellyma1973

Post by kellyma1973 »

Mack - 33 yo male - Washington, DC - Fell asleep at the wheel in Dec 1991 in rural north FL, road ended, I kept going, big tree stopped me. No one else was involved or injured.

Message was edited by: kellyma1973
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bump
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi everyone, contribute and read, bpi right arm motorcycle accident 2 years ago. Slowly improving. Still like to read the boards but dont post as often as I used to
regards Michael.....horsie