forearm osteotomy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

forearm osteotomy

Post by admin »

Has anyone had experience with this surgery? (Forearm osteotomy). Dr. Nath recommended this for our 6 year old son (he's had primary & mod quad surgeries, back when he was an infant/toddler). We sent a video to Dr. Nath for evaluation, and he noted that our son's forearm was supinated too much (palm facing forward, when the arm is resting at his side). If anyone has a child who has undergone this surgery, could you give me some information - what doctor you used, how it went, recovery, pain afterwards, benefits from the surgery, etc.?

Thank you!
Dawn
DeShawn

Re: forearm osteotomy

Post by DeShawn »

Dawn,
Rain had this surgery done in 2004. It was actually the easiest procedure we have had thusfar. It is done on an outpatient basis, and the arm will be in a cast for about 10 weeks or so. Rain was 4 when she had it done, and we noted a remarkable change in the positioning of the arm. This surgery does not increase function, it only places the arm in a neutral, functional position. We had this surgery with Dr. Davino. He is really nice. The recovery went well, there was very little pain afterwards, it was just relatively easy. The cast is a pain though since it stays on for so long and after several weeks it develops a little bit of a strange smell, but if that is the worst of it then there are really no complaints.
Dr. Nath referred us to Dr. Davino and we were very happy with him. In fact we are scheduled for surgery with Dr. Davino next month. We are having the forearm wedge osteotomy for Rain's wrist. Not sure about this one though. If anyone out there has had this one please fill me in. Any other questions Dawn, please feel free to ask.
DeShawn
blakesmom

Post by blakesmom »

Blake had the forearm osteotomy done 3 weeks ago. His arm was in a pronated position=no supination. Dr Nath recommended it and Dr Davino performed it. It was outpatient, the whole arm is casted(Blake's is for 5 weeks) He should be in a more nuetral position, like DeShawn said, it does not increase function, just puts the arm in a better position.(Blake had-30degrees to get to nuetral, now he will have just the same, thus better supination, only from a different starting position.) Dr Davino did his humeral osteotomy 18 months ago, we have always been very pleased with him. Blake's surgery was only 1 hour and we went back to the hotel for a nap and a few hours later, went out to enjoy our day in Houston.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you so much for the info! I haven't been on the message board in quite a while - but always come back when we need expert advice, from the parents who have been there. I remember your name from years ago, I think. Do you mind telling me, do you all live in Texas? I knew of one BPI mom who lived in Texas, about 3 years ago, from the message board - but can't remember her name now. We are in Austin. Thank you so much for sharing. And I hope your upcoming surgery with Dr. Davino will be a great success!

Dawn
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you so much for sharing this info! It is so helpful to hear from parents who have been through it already. Best wishes for a super outcome!

Dawn
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Searching for answers! Is the humeral and forearm osteotomies performed because there is a deformity in the "shoulder joint" that prevents the arm from growing properly?? Thanks for the information!
claudia

Post by claudia »

Guest:
The osteotomies are not performed because the arm isn't "growing properly". Many children with bpi have markedly different arm lengths (a variety of reasons). The osteotomies are performed to reposition the arm because the muscle imbalances have the arm sitting in a non-functional place. Sometimes the arm is too internally rotated, sometimes too externally rotated. The issue can arise from the upper arm or the lower arm. This is just based on differences in type of injury.

hope this helps,
claudia
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Claudia, Thanks for your explanation. I appreciate it!