Questions

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
RONNIED

Questions

Post by RONNIED »

Well I just wanted to know if anyone has a similar situation as I do. My arm was injured 4 months ago. I had cancer and was in surgery for 11-12 hours while they removed a tumor in my abdomen. Sadly I woke up and couldnt move my right arm. I couldnt believe what happened. The surgeons said it is just "one of those things that can happen." I think they are just trying to cover themselves.

Anyways, the neurologists I have seen say my arm should come back to use by like 90%. I have made some progress over the time but it is slow and very hard. The pain is terrible and I have a hard time sleeping.

I guess my question is has any had a similar experience? How much function will I get out of my arm? That question really bothers me. I want to know if I will be able to use it very well ever again. Im hoping someone can give me some realistic expectations. Thanks for reading. BTW I am 21 yrs old.
RONNIED

Re: Questions

Post by RONNIED »

I forgot to mention that the hospital has had no contact with me since and has left me with all the bills (PT, perscriptions doctors, ect). I am also struggling to work a full time job for insurance and to support my family. Should legal action be considered? Thanks again
punchy sue

Post by punchy sue »

Hello Justin, (I hope that's your name)

My name is Susan and I've been a TBPI er for almost three years. I have some questions for you. Did the docs say how they think your arm was injured seeing how they were operating on your abdomen? Most people on this site have paralysis due to injury to the brachial plexus nerves C5-T1 (cervicle 5 - thoracic 1).

Mine was a car accident which pulled all five nerves out of the spine (nerve root avulsion). Some people are injured during birth if they are in the wrong position coming out of the birth canal. Alot of people's injuries are due to some sort of accident that severe or stretch or compress a portion of the brachial plexus.

With this last group of people, recovery is the highest. I'm not sure if I've heard of a full recovery, but I don't know if they'd post here if they did.

If you could give a little more information about how or what is injured that is making your arm unable to move, maybe someone can answer your questions better then I.

TAKE CARE
LOVE SUSAN
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

They explained to me that the nerve was stretched. I guess that the arm was in the same position for so long that it got damaged. I guess that my biggest problem is that I want to go into law enforcement and if I dont get full use out of it than I might have to change careers. It just upsets me that I have all this pain/loss of income/bills/possible permanant damage all from something that probably could have been prevented. I try to have a positive outlook, but its hard to do sometimes. Thanks for your replies.
RONNIED

Post by RONNIED »

They explained to me that the nerve was stretched. I guess that the arm was in the same position for so long that it got damaged. I guess that my biggest problem is that I want to go into law enforcement and if I dont get full use out of it than I might have to change careers. It just upsets me that I have all this pain/loss of income/bills/possible permanant damage all from something that probably could have been prevented. I try to have a positive outlook, but its hard to do sometimes. Thanks for your replies.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

Hey... sorry to hear about your injury too! Mine, like Susans is from a car accidnet 5 years ago! Its a tough decision and only you can make it... I would maybe even talk with an lawyer and see if you have acase. Usually the inital consult with most of them is FREE! You should not be stuck with this becasue of their neglagence! Just my thoughts! Good luck and keep us posted!!

Courtney
punchy sue

Post by punchy sue »

I don't know about suing your docs, but you should make sure at this point you find a nuerologist who understands BPI. You should also find a physical therapist who can help you strengthen your arm. Seeing that the nerves are just stretched, they are still connected correctly. Find the right people to help you get things working again. There is a list on this site of doctors and therapists all over the US who have knowledge of this specific injury. Stay positive and think of yourself first - ALWAYS!

LOVE SUSAN