Questions

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
RONNIED

Questions

Post by RONNIED »

Well I just wanted to know if anyone has a similar situation as I do. My arm was injured 4 months ago. I had cancer and was in surgery for 11-12 hours while they removed a tumor in my abdomen. Sadly I woke up and couldnt move my right arm. I couldnt believe what happened. The surgeons said it is just "one of those things that can happen." I think they are just trying to cover themselves.

Anyways, the neurologists I have seen say my arm should come back to use by like 90%. I have made some progress over the time but it is slow and very hard. The pain is terrible and I have a hard time sleeping.

I guess my question is has any had a similar experience? How much function will I get out of my arm? That question really bothers me. I want to know if I will be able to use it very well ever again. Im hoping someone can give me some realistic expectations. Thanks for reading. BTW I am 21 yrs old.

I forgot to mention that the hospital has had no contact with me since and has left me with all the bills (PT, perscriptions doctors, ect). I am also struggling to work a full time job for insurance and to support my family. Should legal action be considered? Thanks again

Sorry for the doble post, I wasnt sure where to put this.
Ashley's mom

Re: Questions

Post by Ashley's mom »

"Just one of those things that can happen," I don't think so!! There are strict protocols used for positioning patients during surgery, especially during long surgeries. When you signed your (informed) consent for surgery, was paralysis part of the risks? Did you have an arterial line in that arm? What did the anesthesiologist have to say? I have not been in your situation, but have worked with post-op patients for many years. You absolutely should consider all options.

The hospital won't contact you, but you can bet their risk manager knows your name.
RONNIED

Post by RONNIED »

When I was in ICU one of the doctors told me the anesthesiologist was at fault, and the doctor had him come and see what he had done.
RONNIED

Post by RONNIED »

Anyone else?
mlynn

Post by mlynn »

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING (LEGAL) GET ALL ALLLLLLLL YOUR RECORDS PERSONALLY. I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL & WAITED 2 HOURS(THEY TOLD ME I COULD NOT HAVE THEM THAT DAY & I SAID I WOULD SIT THERE UNTIL I GOT THEM & I BROUGHT A DRINK & FOOD & WAS PLANNING TO WAIT AS LONG AS IT TOOK) FOR THEM TO COPY ALL MY RECORDS! VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT. I HATE TO TELL YOU BUT, SOME HUMANS CHANGE MEDICAL RECORDS AFTER YOU ASK FOR THEM. DO NOT CALL, OR LET THE HOSPITAL KNOW YOU ARE COMMING TO GET A COPY. GOOD LUCK & SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR LOSS.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Hey Justin,
So sorry to hear that you got a bpi. I hope that you are cancer free sfter that surgery and all that you are going through.

I guess my situation is not really similar as I got my injury at birth. But I figured we are close in age (I am 19) so if you ever want to talk feel free to email me hope16_05@hotmail.com

I hope that you stick with your therapy even though it is hard to stay motivated and find time for because that will help you the most.
Do you have any use of your right arm/hand?

What kind of job do you have? Maybe some one here can give you some tips until you start getting some function back.

Work hard and never give up!

Amy 19 ROBPI from MN

oh if you dont mind where are you from?
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I FEEL SORRY FOR YOU BEING SO YOUNG. I THOUGHT I HAD STOMACHE CANCER OR SOMETHING, IT WAS MY GALLBLADDER. THEY JUST REMOVED IT FRIDAY AND ALREADY MY PAIN IS GONE. I THINK I STILL MAY HAVE TO TAKE MY ACIS REFLUX MEDS BECAUSE I AM STILL NAUTIOUS. SOUNDS LIKE THEY MASE SOME KIND OF MISTAKE WITH YOU? DID YOU GET A SECOND OPINION?