Your favorite things

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Your favorite things

Post by Kath »

I can add some practical things

Front loading washer & dryer with drawer underneath for storage. I am short so this puts the tubs waist high and I don't have to twist and bend to do laundry.

Wall oven... don't ask me why I was so dumb but I did not have one in this house... talk about not thinking and planning ahead... what a pain a real pain.

Cutting boards with rubber handles so that they stay put when I am cutting.

My suitcase has four wheels and can be pushed with one finger if necessary. It is great!!!!

Cover for my seat belt when I am a passenger so that the belt does not press on bpi side.

Tracker ball mouse so that I am not constantly moving my shoulder.

I have shower heads that can be moved so that it is easier for me to rinse my hair... they are adjustable and can be hand held if necessary.
Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Bad News about the rock

I just tried to get a hold of the gal who makes the rock. It is made out of clay and she apparantly doesn't have a website like I had originally thought. I am going to go through where she lives this weekend and will try to get ahold of her. She has e mail but told me she rarely checks it. I will do my best to try to find out what I can about the rocks.
I'll let ya know by next week. Sorry..I was so excited about it too.
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Thanks for reminding me, Kath.

Nancy, you can add a wall oven and tracker ball mouse to the list that I e-mailed to you, since I have them both.

I just got a new dryer and front loading washer, but the pedestal drawer prevented the dryer from being hooked up to vent properly, so we returned it. The pedestal drawer under the washer made the top of the washer too high for this short person to use as a catch all, or as a folding table, so it went back, too.

Joanie
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I love my arm rest, it lets my shoulder relax and I can use a regular mouse with my right hand. The mouse is extra, but the arm rest letting my should relax is a must.

Like others said an adjustable shower head. We have one that the water pressure is adjustable and I love it, makes it so much easier to rinse my hair.

Although adjusting to a lap top size keyboard is tricky I really like it. It makes it easier to sit in a comfortable position or lay down or what ever so my back does not hurt so bad.

Office type chairs with arm rests are the best for me but right now I have one that does not have arm rests and it helps in the fact that it is adjustable in height. I wish I had one with an arm rest on the left, my good arm gets tired and sore after typing. Right now I have to use my desk drawer to reast my left arm on.

I think thats all I can think of for now, oh wait, I have a very new favorite thing. My mom and I just won a digital camera and I love it because I can see my pics after taking them and do it again if I screwed up. Also it automaticall turn the pic back to the up-right position when I take the pic upside down because I am ROBPI.

Hope that some of this helps!

Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Joy in FL

Post by Joy in FL »

I am lucky ladies. My husband built me a stand for my dryer! I have had it for several years. He built the first one for my mother. Once I saw how easy it was to get clothes out of the dryer I asked for one! They are the best.

Another gadget that I love is my Gizmo can opener. One handed operation.

Hand held shower is a must.

The one item that I don't think I can live without would be my small pig pillow. It tucks under my BP arm, right in the arm pit, while I sleep and offers support. Another shaped pillow that works well is a heart.

Therma pads. The things that stick to your clothing and provide heat to the area. Actually need to go put one of those on!

Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

oh I thought of another thing, its the safe edge can opener I think pampered chef makes it, that works the best for me because I dont have to hold it shut if that makes sense, it hold itself shut, I just have to turn it.

Joy made a good point with the stuffed animal. I use a large stuffed dog as a pillow or sometimes as arm/ shoulder support.

Now I think thats all for me.
Amy
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Ladies,
I have started a hope chect of sorts for Brandon....why you may ask....well, these great ideas that you have often get discontinued and then what will he do when he gets married? I have already purchased the GIZMO....got it on clearance as a matter of fact. My hubby just laughs, I guess that is what gets me through the day. I did think of something else that we don't live without in the winter here in Illinois....those hand warmer packets you can buy in the hunting department at WAL-Mart. I shove one in his right(affected)glove and it keeps his hand toasty warm...no more blue fingers. They work GREAT and now he even comes in for replacements.... thank you for all the hints, they are so helpful !!!! Gayle MOM of Brandon 7 1/2 ROBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One thing I absolutely love and take everywhere is my Backnobber. My old massage therapist got it for me from a chiropractor she worked for. It is shaped like an S and it has two little knobs on each end. You put the hook part over your shoulder and can really get in all the sore spots and trigger points very accurately. My brother in law also has back problems and is always threatening to steal it! It comes apart in the middle, so it's easy to throw in a bag. I also couldn't live without my shiatsu neck massager and an assortment of aromatic heat packs of all shapes and sizes I got in the mall once.
CarolynfromLA

Post by CarolynfromLA »

I can't live without my cutting board with the two metal spikes in it to hold the item I'm cutting!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have a one year old, and yesterday we just got a minivan. I loved our old car, but it was so hard for me to get my daughter in and out of. I hardly went out alone because I knew I'd be paying for it for days. This new car is so great for me. And, the absolute best thing is that it has power sliding doors!!! A Must!!! It also has wiper controls on the right (I'm LOBPI), making that perfect for me. It is a honda odyssey.
Another thing I thought of was my keyboard. It is curved, so I can type easier and longer because my hand doesn't cramp up as fast from trying to twist it flat.

You know, I think this topic is my favorite because everyone has good and practical ideas. It seems that the smallest things that make my life just a little easier are always the most helpful. It's always the little, everyday stuff we do that makes the biggest difference. Thanks!