Medtronic cortical implant

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Medtronic cortical implant

Post by admin »

Hi, My name is Polly, and I am new to the UBPN website. My Husband, Curtis, suffered a severe Brachial plexopathy about 5 years ago, and now the VA has finally approved a pain pacemaker for him made by medtronics. Has anyone ever heard of it before, or had any experience with it? I'd appreciate any imput you have to offer. Thanks!
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Medtronic cortical implant

Post by jennyb »

Hi Pauline
I just replied to a similar post by Courtney, check it out! Is the device your husband has been offered to stimulate the brain directly, or the spine?
Thanks for the info
Jen NZ
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

oops I meant Polly, not Pauline, duh!
jennyb

Post by jennyb »

...and if the device is implanted by the brain, check this thread out, it was posted to the tbpi uk messageboard http://p072.ezboard.com/fadultswithbrac ... =316.topic
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you so much for your reply! I think Courtney was asking the same question for me, as I asked her last night. The cortical implant is to be put into the lower spine. I just don't know of anyone who's had it done, or how/ if it helps at all. Again, thank you
onearmj

Post by onearmj »

hi i am new here too. i have had a premant spinal crd stimulator put in me for my pain due to construction injury. i was told that my brachial plixs nerves were torn and there was nuthing they could do so they put this in to help with my pain and it has helped some. iam going to have a inplanted morphine pump put in in two weeks to make up the rest of the pain level.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have been advised by 4 Dr.s to get this implant. Luckily I decided against the procedure. I've read many posts where people who have them move on to pain medicine anyway. The only success stories I know of are those claimed by the Medtronic people.