Hello, reintroduction

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Dave m

Hello, reintroduction

Post by Dave m »

Hi, it's been quite a while since i posted on here and wanted to drop in and catch up with some of the folks.. like John K (how's the Harley hot rod doing dude?) and George (been doing much fishing lately mate?) and of course hi to new names. I will check in here more often. I was injured in 0ct 99 after hitting a car on my bike. Broke my neck back and shoulder and dislocated the shoulder. Got my shoulder surgically repaired and had a flail arm and hand. Had no nerve surgery as the neck fractures were unstable and it was deemed too risky to cut near them. My BPI doc thinks following EMG and clinical eval that my BPI was mainly stretch/crush with 'probable' avulsion of T1. I have luckily got great motor return of my arm and have a hook type motion in my hand worked from the muscles in my forearm. The intrinsic hand muscles are dead so i'm now effectively left handed. Thankfully the pain gradually decreased and is not a problem now most of the time.
Just thought i would add my two pence worth so some newbies can see that not all TBPI are total, the one who get good recovery often don't hang around and just get on with their lives.
Best wishes to all, keep your chins up if you can..
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Hello, reintroduction

Post by Kath »

Hi Dave
It is so nice to hear from folks like you.
I am so happy to read about the pain issues being less and less for you.
I am sure your post gives hope to lots of new peeps.
I hope all is well with you and thanks for jumping across the pond to support your bpi mates here.
You seem to have gained so much over the last several years.

Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

Hi Kath, thanks for the hello from your side of the pond. You seem to be doing well yourself too, working for UBPN. Is it really 5 years since we were at the Florida BPI picnic? I don't know where the time goes.. Studying an IT course here and will get into a new career this year, i can't wait to be honest. Cheers and keep on keepin on peeps.
John K

Post by John K »

Hey Dave

nice to hear from you. Still hanging around here in more ways han one. The shop is busy. Hope all is well with you.
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Dave,

it has been a while; nice to see you post again!

Any chance you might consider making it to the 2007 UBPN Camp? It would be nice to put a face to a name...oh, but maybe I'll see you in August over yonder???

Peggy
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

well, that is if the price comes down on air tickets... I just checked and it's not quite affordable at this time :o(

Peggy
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Welcome back Dave!!!! Missed you.I am so glad your pain has decreased. Please keep in touch!
Judy
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

Hi John Peggy and Judy and thanks for the hellos!

And Peggy, i don't know what i will be doing in 2007 yet so don't have any plans for then as yet. If flight prices are dear from there have you checked out sites like www.cheapflights.co.uk ? There are some bargain flights from the UK to the USA so should be from there to here? Just a thought.

Take care guys i'll be dropping in here again,
Dave
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

I'll give that a whirl! Thanks ;o)

Peggy