Finding a job...

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
diargasm

Finding a job...

Post by diargasm »

Hello, this is Andre again. I wanted to ask for some advice from those of you that have got a job after having a BPI. I just recently got my driver's license and am now going to go around to look for a job. I am 18 and never had a job before. What are some good places for someone in my position to get a job at? I live in California. I desperately would like a job, but I don't want to get a job out of pity. Because honestly, would any employer gladly take me in, knowing my capabilities?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Finding a job...

Post by admin »

Try looking for a job in Security. Not sure what part of California, you live in, look up Guardsmark LLC. they have jobs, you can do with your injury.

Guard Luck
Marlene ( Jasons Mom)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

oops "Good Luck"... Check out all of the Security Companies in your area...
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

Wackenhut is a great nation- wide company also.

Good Luck.
EllenB

Post by EllenB »

Hey Andre - John (finally) got hired a couple weeks ago, at a local bike shop. The thing that surprised me was that I figured he'd be hired for his expertise in cycling (i.e. in sales) but instead, at least at this point, his job is stocking the shelves & updating inventory on the computer. Surprising in that they hired John to do something that will take him twice as long as anybody else to do - and that doesn't require expertise. Go figure.

But what helped was John's persistance. So after you turn in your application, stop by FREQUENTLY just to check up & say 'hi' to whoever is there.

One other job John was looking into sounded boring but to him would have given him the time to do schoolwork - and that was to work the night desk at a hotel or motel. Are you in school these days? Might be something to consider.

Keep us posted -

Ellen
Dave m

Post by Dave m »

Hi Andre, I'm looking for a job after TBPI also. It has been years since i was injured but i had some psychological probs that meant dealing with people was hard (PTSD) that have largely been resolved now. I spoke to people at the job centre here and got some ideas. I was a postman for 12 years before injury BTW. Some suggestions to me were; emergency 999 (911) operator for police or ambulance services, train as a counsellor or social worker (I'm 41 and have quite a lot of life experience), train as a computer assisted designer, health and safety person, the list goes on. There are jobs that don't require the full use of two arms and hands, good luck dude.
Dave
alaskanmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mom of daughter with complete right brachial plexus avulsion from a sledding accident

Post by alaskanmom »

Hello Andre, My daughter just recently started looking for a job (I think it was more for the wanting to know if she could get one than actually wanting one.) The movie theatre is a great place to try. She was also offered a job as a hostess in a restuarant (she decided against it.)The local UPS store has a woman employed there who only has one arm and she does great. Caralyn has absolutely no movement below the shoulder and she still wants to go to college and be a scientist (who knows maybe she will discover some new type of nerve transplant or therapy or pain medication) Good luck and remember you can do anything you want.
Rene
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Anything using the computer because you only need one good hand to use the computer.
herff94

Post by herff94 »

My injury happened when I was 17 and I, too, had to find a job. I can type with one hand like most do w/ two. I worked at a bank. I started as a teller and they had a stool for me to sit at when my back started to bother me but the counters were high enough I could lay my arm up on it to use my hands to count money. I worked my way up and got a position in a office were I dealt with customers on the phone and had my own line, my own computer and it was excellent. Banking was fun; everyone was young like me and we had a blast!!! Met my best friends there. Hours were nice, no lifting, slow times to take a breath and great benefits!
Check it out.
Kath in Chicago
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry for writing too much..........

Andre, don't take this the wrong way. I say that cause I know I would. You're 18, get a part time job doing whatever. See if there's Netflix in your area and go part time. Then enroll in college.

I say that for 2 reasons, you're young, and no experience. When you have an education in lets say business and get an internship at Goldman Sachs, you don't need the use of both arms. Also, companies like that know better than to refuse someone a job because of a disability(I hate using that word).

I know this sounds bad, but take advantage of what you can. You skip lines at airports, utilize the disabilty for non-discriminatory purposes.

I was laid-off and after being on unemployment, I was asked to go in to the unemployment office for some questions. I told her I was having a problem cause the disabilty. She said "you know, you're right, YOU have the problem." She also went on and told me that I'm well qualified for the position I was looking for and told me I shouldn't walk into interviews with a attitude of already being defeated.

She even told me to volunteer the information of my arm since most firms would fear any discriminatory suits.

I never volunteered the info, but I do have a job because of past experience. Thats what you need, experience. Now you're asking yourself, "How do I get experience if no one gives me a chance?" Again, get a part time doing whatever, anything. When you're in college, you'll get an internship and that will be your REAL experience to get you started in life.

Message was edited by: peter g