raw underarm- bpi side

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
BIGJAVSMA

raw underarm- bpi side

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

I know I have posted about this before. Javiers arm get pretty nasty underneath. Do any of you think vagisil would help with the itching. if we use powder, it gets too dry. ointment makes it too wet.... i sometimes have to use nystatin (antifungal) because he has gotten 2 yeast infections under there. looking up at this- i do bathe him daily. lol in case anyone was wondering.

marlyn
admin
Site Admin

Re: raw underarm- bpi side

Post by admin »

Brooke had the same problem to a lesser degree. We used desitin under her arm daily, sometimes twice daily. It worked like a charm. We also make sure to get the towel under there and dry the area completely after bathing.

I hope this helps, that nasty underarm is really gross!

Lauren
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Mariyn,
I have used cornstarch too for this problem. It works very well.
Hugs,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Try getting Yeast Infection Medicine over the counter. It works for my son everytimme. Gayle... PS it isn't as strong as NYSTATIN !
LoriV

Post by LoriV »

I have used something called Triple Paste for that. You can use it on diaper rash as well, but it works much better than the traditional rash ointments.
AmyBrowne

Post by AmyBrowne »

There is a wonderful diaper rash ointment called Paladin that works wonders for chafing, minor burns, and skin irriations. You have to ask for it at CVS or Target pharmacy, or most pharmacy, because they keep it behind the counter. You can also purchase it at www.rashcream.com This stuff is the best; better than Desitin, in my opinion. It stays on well and solves any problem quickly.

AmyB

Daughter, Scarlett 8 mo, LOBPI
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is also a rash cream "Dr. Smiths" that can be found at Walmart as well as a pharmacy. My opinion is, if nothing over-the-counter is working, he should be DIAGNOSED by a dermatologist and prescribed a medication. Sooner than later!
BIGJAVSMA

Post by BIGJAVSMA »

thank you all for input.
guest- i have already contacted our insurance to find a dermatologist. thanks. :) if his arm is this bad in the cold, i can't imagine how it will be this summer. wish us luck.

sincerely,marlyn
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ask about Zeasorb AF powder. It is a prescription antifungal that will keep it dry and treat fungal infection when it gets really cheesy and stinky. My son had the same trouble under his BPI arm for a long time. When it's under good control, the zinc oxide creams like Desitin AFTER CLEANING it work well, but applying it to skin with fungal overgrowth or frank infection will just seal it in and encourage infection. If it's not bath day, you can wipe it down with a benzalkonium chloride towelette (antibacterial wipe like Nice-N-Clean)and air dry before the Desitin.