ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
athos

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by athos »

I'm bumping this message back to the top. There must be some more of us out there!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi everyone I'm Cathy. I found this board about 3 months ago. I am a RTBPI from a watersking accident and soccer. I have surgery scheduled for 5-14 for a transaxillary neurolysis of the plexus to remove scare tissue. This will be surgery #6 on that side. Dr. Filler will be doing it he specializes in reops. of the bpi. It is great to know you are all out there!
archaeo

Post by archaeo »

Hi! I'm Bill Mangold from Terre Haute, Indiana. Have been a left tbpi since the age of 6 (I'm 54 so you do the math). Cause was thought to be a playground accident but back in the Dark Ages no one could say for certain. Really didn't know all of you were out there until yesterday! Glad to be on board.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

hi bill!!!! at LAST a tbpi who's been injured longer than me.....now i can ask you lots of questions! I don't know what use you have of your bpi arm, (i have no functional use) but how's the so called good arm holding out? mine went baaaaaaad last year (21 years post accident) but being careful has stopped the rot....so far. still get the funny crunchings in the good shoulder though....arthritis here i come! the bpi arm is absolutely fine, but i have a serious scoliosis (curvature of the spine) which does not cause any pain as yet (will it? anyone know?) and of course i suffer the period bouts of electric shock type pain many of us seem to get, i can deal with that but i'm terrified of the only usable arm i have giving out and my family have already made it clear they have no intention of brushing my teeth for me or dressing me or accompanying me to the toilet....you get the picture..so bill, tell it like it is!
archaeo

Post by archaeo »

Hello Jenny! What a way to make a guy feel welcome! So I guess that I'm the old-timer now. As far as the good arm goes, the only problem I have is getting tendonitis in the biceps area if I really overdo. And I put this right arm through a lot. As you would guess, as an archaeologist I have done quite a bit of digging, hauling, lifting and hundreds of miles of walking. Have yet to need a bullwhip; however, a pistol has been another matter. I have little pain in the left arm, more since a trip and fall accident 2 years ago. Just a little tingle after a long day. Do you have anything else affected besides your arm/hand? My left leg was effected as well as a few muscles on the left side of my face but not really noticeable. Any other questions? Fire away!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've had a TBPI on the right for just over two years. Motorcyle accident. Also broke my back/neck put ribs through both lungs, cut throat, lost a few teeth and had a wicked head ache.

Walking and talking in Auckland, New Zealand. I just pop in every once and a while to check up whats up with fixing it. I'm keeping the arm to 2009. If they cant fix it then its off.
sueh

Post by sueh »

Hi - I am sue - friend of Jane, who was in terrible mva 11/4/01 (lost husband) and now is bilateral tbpi (or so we think - the docs don't seem to be sure, but she has no use of her arms) - she has horrible pain - both in hands (which have about 35% movement left) and feet (which have been affected minimally) - it is interesting and helpful to read your posts - will be full of questions as time goes on. sue h
archaeo

Post by archaeo »

Hi Sue! Tell Jane to hang in there and be patient a little longer. I had a spinal injury due to a fall a couple of years ago and it made my previous tbpi ten times worse (as well as totally paralzying me from the neck down for almost a day). I was more than six months before things progressed to my previous level. Nerves are such stubborn critters. I'm hoping that Jane may see some more improvement. Maybe that is why the doctors are hesitant right now. Please give her my best wishes. Bill
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Sue...I am SO sorry to hear about your friend...I will email you....

Take care...

Liz B
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi All,
Just found this website yesterday,i've a Left BPI due to a motorcycle accident 5/4/97.I lost control and hit the back of a parked car.i was in hospital for 6 months after that(very enjoyable ha.ha.)

Karl.