63 years old and newly diagnosed

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
SelenaB

63 years old and newly diagnosed

Post by SelenaB »

I am 63 years old and did not know I was an OBPI adult until about five years ago. My parents had told me my right arm had been paralyzed at birth and that they had kept my right arm in a sling and wrapped close to my body. Over time I regained use of my arm and grew up not knowing anything was wrong, (except I always wondered why I swam in circles when I did the backstroke). I just assumed I was born left handed and I ALWAYS slept with my right arm raised and my head resting on it. Through my teens I was a cheerleader and active in sports. Fast-forward 40 years. About 5 or 6 years ago I began having trouble. My range of motion has become more and more limited and I have been experiencing increasing discomfort and pain. I went to a Doctor who diagnosed my problem OBPI. I began researching and, along the way, found this wonderful web site. I would appreciate any advice or information you can give. Thanks
jep98056

Re: 63 years old and newly diagnosed

Post by jep98056 »

SelenaB:
Welcome to the Boards. Another "Senior". Wow, it's amazing how many of us have stumbled onto this site after we started having problems and wondered about what exactly is it we have. You'll find that you're not alone with issues of underuse of the affected arm and overuse of the unaffected arm. I too started feeling some discomfort and loss of strength a few years back. I found this site and discovered there are others like me and sadly more still being injured.

The best advice I can offer is to begin an excercise program. Stretching and resistance excercises were recommended to me and it has helped (although I need to keep it up).

John P. (66, ROBPI)
Steve L.

Post by Steve L. »

I think that is very important for people like us, that were not diagnosed until late in life, let the newer folks know that is easy to live with this injury. I firmly believe the lack of information made us stronger, for lack of a better way to put it.
By the way, I'm 39 y.o. LOBPI.
Welcome home, this is a wonderful place to connect with people that share common ground.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Welcome to the Message Board
I was so happy to find others to talk to when I realized I was not the only one in the world with this injury.
I always knew I had Erb's Palsy thank goodness because most doctors never even mentioned it.
It's like the elephant in the room we don't talk about it so it's not there.
I found it educational and interesting to compare notes and see how much we have in common.

Kath (robpi/adult)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Steve L.

Post by Steve L. »

Hey Kath. Can you believe it, 2 posts in less than 6 months. I think I'm really startin' to break outta my shell. SL
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Steve
I was thinking that but was afraid I might scare you away... we need you around here!
Happy New Year glad to see your not shy anymore...LOL

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi