Expecting after BPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Jamie MA

Expecting after BPI

Post by Jamie MA »

Hello to everyone.
It has been a very, very long time since I've posted.
My TJ is 6 1/2 now and doing very well after 2 surgeries with Dr. Waters, it's been a long road, but he's more than functional and that's all we ever dreamed of from the start. He looks great, you can't tell unless he has his shirt off- my deepest thanks to Dr. Waters!!

We have found out we're expecting baby #3, very excited, but terrified at the same time.

I'm trying to get some opinions, I visit a pregnancy board, but it's hard to relate to some of those wonderful pregnancy posts on deliveries.

My new OB has given me the option to have a c-section, or if the baby is not too large (under 8 lbs) having an induced early delivery.

Truthfully, we have a couple of months to decide - baby is due May 4-
I walked into this pregnancy so set on a c-section, I can't understand why I'm even questioning whether or not to do it.
My first was 8.5lbs fractured clavical, second was 9 lbs LOBPI-
Any thoughts?
brandonsmom

Re: Expecting after BPI

Post by brandonsmom »

Jamie, I would strongly suggest C-section. I have four children. My second daughter had a fractured clavicle....my third daughter was too big to break anything, she just tore me to pieces when she decided she was ready to come. My last was an 8 pound 11 ounce Baby Boy with Severe ROBPI. It's hard because we all want that natural child birth but the chances of BPI increase with every child after the the first one that shoulder dystocia occurred. If I had known that I would have never had a natural child birth again. But nobody, not even my OB/GYN told me that even though I told them about my daughters shoulder dystocia. Good luck making a decision. Gayle
AlannahD
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 7-year-old granddaughter, LOBPI

Post by AlannahD »

Jamie, my daughter just gave birth (11/01)to her second baby via C-section, after having given birth vaginally to her first, LOBPI. Her first baby was only 6'14", and this one was 6'15". After her surgery, her OB this time around indicated that this baby too would have also gotten stuck, so she was quite relieved that she had chosen C-section. Camille B. (Grandmother to Alannah)
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Jamie,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's always wonderful in my opinion to know a life is growing inside of you.

Asking for opinions on the topic of c/section versus vaginal delivery after a BPI delivery is sooooooo controversial. I know that I have a very strong opinion on this topic, but also keep in mind that I had my tubes tied so I will never be faced with this same decision. Also, I am a labor and delivery nurse who truly believes in the ability of a woman's body when a doctor/midwife keeps their hands out of the process.

We can only offer you our support in this very difficult decision process. It is such a personal decision with many factors to take into account. Ask questions to your doctor, make sure you become as informed as possible, and if you decide to deliver vaginally, insist on NOT delivering while laying on your back, but rather deliver on your side, while squatting, or on your hands and knees (also you should labor in these positions as well). Whichever method of delivery you decide upon, make it your decision. Afterall, it is your body experiencing the delivery along with your child.

Good luck.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 3 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
georgia's mom

Post by georgia's mom »

C-SECTION. My daughter was 3 weeks early weighed 9lbs 2 oz with rbpi injury. We just went to Texas for surgery. I am pregnant with our 2nd child and I am going to have a c-section with this baby no matter how big or small. I am not going to put myself or my child through what my daughter Georgia has been through. Not to mention the expense we have had for therapy and the surgery and therapy after the surgery.
Kwest

Post by Kwest »

Congratulations!

The c vs. v decision is a very personal one. I believe it is whatever you feel most comfortable with because that will be the most important thing in either delivery room -- whether you are stressed or not. I knew that if I decided to have a vaginal delivery that all I would do the entire pregnancy and through delivery would be to stress about it.

My first (girl, 10lbs 1 ounce, ROBPI) was five when I got pregnant the second time. I was determined I would have a c-section. I actually went to three doctors before I found one that would agree 100% from the onset to give me one. I was shocked at how the first two doctors (both women) spent a good hour just trying to talk me out of it. One of them had me in tears, telling me it was my fault because I didn't watch my diet and caloric intake. The third (a man) said "absolutely c-section" after I told him my story.

My c-section with my son (now 15 months) was an absolute breeze compared to my vaginal with my daughter. I'm glad I did it. The doctor took him two weeks early and he weighed 8lbs. 9 oz. so who knows! I just wanted to be sure I didn't go through the nightmare again!

However, that is my story only, whichever way you decide to go you will find support here! Good luck and best wishes!!!

Kim
tcon

Post by tcon »

It is a personal choice that only you & your husband can decide. I will however caution you about waiting to see how big the baby is, ultrasounds can be way off. For my 1st, they said she would be 7lb 4oz 2 days before she was born and she was 9lbs 13oz, shoulder dystocia and LOBPI. My 2nd was a c-section 3 weeks early and she was 9lbs, 7ozs. c-section was a breeze compared to delivering an almost 10lb baby. Also, dont go by how much weight you gain. I gained 50lbs for my first and under 30lbs for my 2nd and they were both big. Please spend alot of time interviewing OBs and asking them about what they have done when the encountered shoulder dystocia. Congrats on your pregnancy!
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

Hi, Jamie. I tried to e-mail you and it bounced back. Please post your e-mail address here or e-mail me so I can send you my note. Thanks. It's good to see your name here. It's been a long time. We too have had another baby.

~Tina, bpmom@comcast.net, Mom to Nicole (6 1/2 y.o. w/LOBPI) & Joshua (1 1/2 y.o. w/NOBPI -- born by c-s)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congratulations on your pregnancy. It doesn't seem like that long ago I was in your shoes. My daughter has a ROBPI, and we found out I was pregnant shortly after her 1st birthday. I prayed about my options (and prayed), spoke to professionals (therapists, doctors, OBs, nurses I knew and trusted), and opted for the c-section. My second child (non bpi) is now 3 yrs old. It was the right decision for me and my family. Hang in there and I will keep you and your family in my prayers!
Lisa Scranton
J'S MOM

Post by J'S MOM »

DEAR KIM,
iT IS NEVER THE MOTHERS FAULT. DOCTORS ARE TRAINED FOR YEARS TO DELEVER BABIES FORM SMALL WOMEN TO LARGE WOMEN. BPI HAPPENS BECAUSE THE DOC MADE A MISTAKE.PERIOD. AS FAR AS C SEC MY OLD OB FROM MY FIRST SAID AFTER BPI ALWAYS HAVE A C. I SHOULD HAVE USED HIM BUT, WE MOVED SO I USED A LOCAL DOC. I BLAME MYSELF EVERY DAY.
GOOD LUCK