is it really for a lifetime?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
admin
Site Admin

Re: is it really for a lifetime?

Post by admin »

I think that if your son has to be born with a brachial plexus injury, he is bettter off today than at any other time. Now there is so much more info and terchnology out there. I'm 25, and they told my parents there was nothing save for PT and OT out there that could be done. Today there are surgeries that can help mazimize function. Plus, there was no internet back in 1980 so there was no support system either for my parents. You have these boards, which has a lifetime of lessons from adults with OBPI for you and your son to learn from and get other resources. Hope this helps.
Becky
Steve L.

Post by Steve L. »

Yeah, everything that Sharon says is right on target. If it weren't for breaking my back when I was 25, I would never have known what I had, I just lived my life.
I'm a 39 y.o. LOBPI, surveyor by trade.
I have, in the coarse of my life, raced BMX (bicycles) on a national level for 6 yr.s. Lifegaurd for 6 yr.s, 2 yr.s at Myrtle Beach S.C.. Played Football as long as I can remember, until a knee injury in '85 at Wofford Col.. Played Baseball through 12th grade, now I coach both Baseball and Football (little league). Slpit firewood for my Dad (and anything else I was told to do).
I have broken my uninjured arm twice and my injured arm 3 times. Injured every finger on both hands many times over. Shattered my collar bone on the left side 3 times.
So much living, only because my only limitations were set by me.
Now I'm not saying that all my experiences have been great, an aggresive personality does have it's disadvantages, but that's a whole other message post.
Just to make sure it's understood, I do not use my injury or my life as an example. If I influence someone in a possitive way...great.
Let him find his own stones to cross lifes river and you'll be amazed.
Vali'smom

Post by Vali'smom »

I just wanted to say that I think everyone handles this situation differently. My daughter is 8 and had her first surgery last year.(a tendon transfer) we are talking about doing a mod quad but unfortunately she may have passed that window of opportunity. I know from experience that my daughter did not realize she was any different than anyone else until about first grade. She had been going to pt and ot off and on since she was three. In first grade a child told her she was stupid because she couldn't straighten her left arm and cross the monkey bars. When I heard this I just about died. But to her it made her stronger. I believe that everything happens for a reason and I feel god sent me a gift because my daughter has taught me how to be a stronger person. She does not back down from anything. I hope that you can find the peace you need and the understanding that you just have to take it one day at a time. In my experience it does get a little easier everyday, especially with all the support out there.
Angela Butterfly

Post by Angela Butterfly »

Dear Cecile, I am Angela, mom to Jill, born 21 (almost 22)years ago, severe LOBPI.

My oldest daughter wrote about WHAT IT IS LIKE LIVING WITH A DISABILITY IN THE FAMILY for a health class speech. Please click on this link to read it.
http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... hread=6473

I think you might see how it affected our family. Jill is a Senior in college (Bachelors of Art Education).....and she is getting married to her long time fella on July 8, 2006. She is my youngest, and the first to get married.
I was scared to death for her, when she was born. I too wondered just how she could manage with absolutely no use of her entire shoulder, arm, hand & fingers. I did years and years of therapy. For us it worked. A
ordoney

Post by ordoney »

i am
Last edited by ordoney on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.