help with school pt

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
njbirk

Re: Putting this info on UBPN

Post by njbirk »

Good points.
We will work towards this. We have so many changes that need to made to the site and Ryan is planning some upgrades so we can make changes more quickly. That is part of the problem, we don't have quick access to make changes.

But we can begin to put the material together for the web page.

If you'd lke to assist in designing this particular page, please let me know, ok?

Thanks for this suggestion.
Nancy
admin
Site Admin

Re: help with school pt

Post by admin »

Hi,
My son Josh is 7 and in 1st grade. He also has a L OBPI, has had 2 surgeries and had OT as a toddler/preschool through school.
He no longer receives any therapy. He has become very functional, his hand is involved and he can grasp things but has lack of strength and lack of finger use.
Areas we worked on (which you may have already too) were opening a milk carton, opening a jar, opening a marker for coloring, pencil grasp with pincher grip (for R hand), opening a locker, dressing and toileting, coat zipping. Clapping, holding the paper in place with L hand while R hand is writing (I didnt want to use a paper weight, I thought he was capable of learning this and he did). Arm swing was another area I mentioned. I know they want goals relating to school success.
Another goal was to carry large objects such as trays (eventually w/b a lunch tray), bins of toys and large blocks.
Cutting with scizzor was a significant goal, to do within the time allowed and while using his L hand to hold the paper.
We also looked at his being able to open a book and keep it held open while reading and turning pages.

If therapy doesnt continue you may consider a health plan through school. Josh needs to have a mitten on during weather changes below 35 degrees because his L hand gets much colder than the R.
I also dont want him holding hands for Ring Around the Rosie or other games where his arm will be pulled on. its OK for the teacher to hold his hand.
There may be phy ed activities and adaptive phy ed should be consulted. JOsh cant do the crab crawl done with tummy facing ceiling, so he skips. He cant do some fitness testing or hanging from his arms. This is all in his plan and discussed at meetings with the school.

With all this said, Josh takes piano lessions from a music therapist. He's in Karate. Hes very physically active and has an awesome throw for softball/baseball. He's a good ice skater.

Hope this helps.
Beth B.MN/mom to Josh age 7
Beth

Post by Beth »

Thanks everyone for all your great input. I will talk to Patrick's teachers, therepists and case manager.
Thanks again you guys are the greatest!!!!
Beth
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

bumping to top for Paula and any others who could use the info.
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

I'm so thankful that you bumped this to the top. This thread will be sooooo helpful now that we just had Amber's Pre-CPSE meeting.

And what a great reminder that the child should be doing an activity functionally rather than allowed to compensate therefore saying it's an accomplished activity because she compensates so well. I guess I'm just used to the CPSE saying that she appears to be able to do most things, so she doesn't need therapy. Sure, Amber CAN do most things, but they are with compensation and overuse of the uninjured arm! Thank you for the reminder!

Tanya in NY
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In my opinion, the villian of BPI for children very much in their development is contractures. I think that the PT should be continue if only to prevent or detect contracture. In my expereince I have found contractures insidious and sudden particularly after growth spurts...
TNT1999

Post by TNT1999 »

bump for recent inquiry off the board