Curious..does your Dr. call it disease or injury

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
parent needing help
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 03/28/2000 OBPI. rc5-6 rupture, rc7-8 avulsion rt1 stretch. L humeral fx lc7 stretch

Curious..does your Dr. call it disease or injury

Post by parent needing help »

Just had a recent eval with a program that we had never been to before. The Dr. insisted on calling it "it" a disease, the diseased arm, the disease process. Even when the BPI was referred to as an injury he corrected us "politely" of course that it was a disease. Just curious how your drs. address your child's injury (For sure that is what ours was as long as other injuries at the same time)

Thanks
Christy & Katie Chapman
admin
Site Admin

Re: Curious..does your Dr. call it disease or injury

Post by admin »

palsy or injury is our experience

disease? that's frightening
what is he trying to imply???

Get him some back copies of Outreach and educate him.
You call this a "program". So is this a bpi clinic? that's even scarier!

Maybe one day they'll vaccinate for this disease - actually how interesting would that be. Would they be vaccinating the OB's then? (I'm sorry, I'm just appalled!)
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Never have heard any of Amber's doctors call it a "disease." "Injury" is the term readily used in our circle of doctors and therapists.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, almost 3 years
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think you might need to see a different Doctor. This sounds strange to me I never heard of bpi called a disease?????????
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Javier's neurologist referred to BPI as a terrible, preventable injury.

I guess I can understand "disease", as injury sounds like it might get better.

MArlyn
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I've always been told injury. My PT's and MD's have all called it that and that is what they told my parent's after I wasborn

Marieke (LOBPI, age 30)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

have never heard of it referred to as a disease. interesting and bizarre.
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Interresting. I've always heard it referred to an injury --never a disease-- in the last 9+ years.

I looked up the medical definition of disease:

dis·ease (dĭ-zēz')
n.

1. A pathological condition of a part, organ, or system of an organism resulting from various causes, such as infection, genetic defect, or environmental stress, and characterized by an identifiable group of signs or symptoms.
2. A condition or tendency, as of society, regarded as abnormal and harmful.
3. Obsolete. Lack of ease; trouble.

Peggy
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

ooops! I did a search on medical dictionary, but just looked at it again, and it just says "dictionary", so not positive this is the same definition(s) they use.

Peggy
3GRTKIDS

Post by 3GRTKIDS »

The term "disease" to describe a BPI is flat out insulting. It is offensive. It imlpies that there was no wrongdoing (in the case of OBPI) and even in the case of TBPI there is trauma that results in an injury; this is not a "disease" you catch or are just born with. We have GOT to educate people. The most disturbing thing to me in this post was the fact that a medical doctor said this.